• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Purple knuckles

vaporman

Even on off time with no knuckle conditioning (Or abuse?) for a few months my knuckles mainly the middle finger ones are always purple,especially in the morning when the body is cool. Does anyone have this and what have you done or stopped doing to avoid it, Or whatever and just keep going?

Inca Warriors - Warriors of the Inca people were brainwashed for many years to forget fear completely until they became fearless to everything and then they were officially a warrior.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have the same thing, and I also found that stopping conditioning--and even stopping hitting things, at all--didn't make it go away. In the end, I decided that if it didn't hurt, it wasn't a problem. My doctor didn't seem concerned, but you may still want to check with yours.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Get it checked out. Discoloration of a joint or in any part of the body can be a sign of trauma to that particular spot. Even if you are unaware of how it started.

For many people it is normal and have no issues. But majority of the time there is a problem

Ok there is no pain and mobility is there but will get it checked before starting again. thanks

Btw never had this before but a few years of hitting sand bags it became this way, Only time i use gloves( Regular Thin hide gloves to keep hands warm not boxing gloves or mma special training gloves) is when its cold otherwise direct contact.

Inca Warriors - Warriors of the Inca people were brainwashed for many years to forget fear completely until they became fearless to everything and then they were officially a warrior.

Unless there is pain or sensitivity or reduced mobility there is nothing wrong. Mine are now permanently discoloured and even on the best of days they are noticeably red where the skin has thickened into a callous.

Sometimes they appear purplish usually for a few hours after I finish hitting the board. This is due to bruising just like anywhere else on the body. You can and will get bruising on your knuckles if you hit hard objects. This is especially common when starting makiwara training because the skin is still soft.

Right on Spartacus thank you for the incite and experience, This is the reason for the post and what better place than a mostly karate forrum :D

The color is fading but comes and goes, still going to inquire about it though

Other than that the skin does become thicker and looks like a 80 year old mans knuckles on 30 something hands lol aside from that it tends to crack and bleed in winter weather and hard to heal because it moves a lot(the skin)

Probably the reason there seems to be oils to rub of those parts but mainly in Chinese text hum jit dow do or the like but coconut oil and olive oil seem to be good at keeping the skin nice and pliable.

I use an old treatment used by fishermen and bare-fist boxers. Vinegar, salt and hot water. Soaking my hands in this for a few minutes and rubbing it in makes the skin tougher and more resistant. After drying off, I get rid of the smell by gently washing with a good liquid hand soap.

Hey

That makes sense, The same brew is used to soak feet to remove dead skin among other things. I bet Epsom salts would help too in there. Thanks for the tips