• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WKF Gloves vs. Boxing Gloves vs. MMA Gloves for Karate

Recently I was checking out a few Karate Clubs, and I realized that clubs go different routes for gloves for all their class when it comes to sparring. So I was wondering why did you choose them or why did they get chosen as a club wide used thing?

image.png.c0cfffae10f84e45733b980977ff1c9f.png - WKF Gloves 

image.png.13f87c0c7f7d8044d1542d14b3592f78.png MMA image.png.3ccc3b5b76319f48b31395ab0dec891c.png

Edited by Nidan Melbourne

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first school went through different phases. We never used the WKF gloves, but something in between those and boxing gloves. We eventually transitioned into MMA gloves that were more padded than competition MMA gloves. This was during the 2000s when MMA and UFC were having a big boom. Eventually, we incorporated Kyokushin style fighting into our curriculum and sometime eschewed gloves altogether.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I prefer the black ones because the digits are free for grasping and such. The other two, for me, are too confining and limited..again, for me.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The club that I train in at the moment use a mixture between the WKF style pads and the MMA one's, mostly its the black belts that use the MMA gloves. I too use a mixture of both depending on what class I'm in, If I'm more likely to come up against other black belts I'll go for MMA ones. 

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

My first dojo only used the old dipped-foam sparring gear, which you haven't pictured. When I started training with my late Shorin-Ryu Sensei, he allowed many different kinds of sparring gear, so what people used largely depended on their preference and if they were competing or not. Folks who wanted to compete usually bought the dipped-foam gear, because that's what was allowed for most tournaments, but eventually the WKF became popular and a lot of them switched to that gear. Personally, I have been using MMA-style sparring gloves, which are a bit more padded than the competition gloves you have pictured, since 2010, and that is what I have my students buy. They provide enough padding to negate any need for headgear, which I prefer people not use because it increases brain damage, and still allows for all the grappling that we do.

• Like 1

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

1 hour ago, Wastelander said:

My first dojo only used the old dipped-foam sparring gear, which you haven't pictured. When I started training with my late Shorin-Ryu Sensei, he allowed many different kinds of sparring gear, so what people used largely depended on their preference and if they were competing or not. Folks who wanted to compete usually bought the dipped-foam gear, because that's what was allowed for most tournaments, but eventually the WKF became popular and a lot of them switched to that gear. Personally, I have been using MMA-style sparring gloves, which are a bit more padded than the competition gloves you have pictured, since 2010, and that is what I have my students buy. They provide enough padding to negate any need for headgear, which I prefer people not use because it increases brain damage, and still allows for all the grappling that we do.

I'm old enough to remember when in 1968-1970, Jhoon Rhee's Safe-T-Punch and Safe-T-Kick hit the MA markets. They were a big hit all of the way for every MA because a lot of MA students back then were afraid to spar, which pretty much helped increase the interest in the MA for prospective new students. PKA started using Jhoon Rhee's invention back in the mid and late 1970's in all of their Full-Contact matches. Those were the good old days!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

On 10/8/2024 at 1:38 AM, Wastelander said:

I did always wonder why I saw various types of gloves when I saw your dojo under Poage Sensei. Now that makes sense as to why.

I generally avoid sparring, but when I do, I go for the MMA style gloves -- I am big on grabbing my opponents.  

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Matayoshi Kobudo 2024-Present - Kukyu

12 hours ago, aurik said:

I generally avoid sparring, but when I do, I go for the MMA style gloves -- I am big on grabbing my opponents.  

I am a "Grabber" too for sparring, as not many people expect that especially from other karate practitioners. 

When you said "I generally avoid sparring" any particular reason for that? I'm curious.