• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flooring for our home dojo

advfhorn

Can anyone get me a discount or a good price on puzzle mat flooring? We are building a "homo dojo" and will be covering 12 wide by about 18' long (the last two feet wide we have to cut around support posts every 8 feet) ... therefore we were leaning toward puzzle mats.

What do you think?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hate training on Puzzle mats, they expensive. (Probably everything is...) laying down a wooden floor would be better maybe, but spendy also.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Can anyone get me a discount or a good price on puzzle mat flooring? We are building a "homo dojo" and will be covering 12 wide by about 18' long (the last two feet wide we have to cut around support posts every 8 feet) ... therefore we were leaning toward puzzle mats.

What do you think?

Wal-Mart actually has some good deals on puzzle mats.

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

I saw homedepot and walmart, and that is an option. To Bulltahr point I don't mind laying down a floor and just using mats as needed .. we were mostly concerned about too much weight and it being too cold .... being over a deck (which now has a roof)

• 1 month later...

I have an area about that big in my basement covered with tatami tiles. I think they have just about the right amount of give for me, and the price wasn't too bad when I got them.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

• 1 year later...

What do you think?

home depot actually sells some good mats for fairly cheap

• 8 months later...

I went with Meister brand puzzle mats for my home dojo. They've held up well in a covered outdoor space for about 2 years, now, and were the best bang for the buck I could find. They'll be pretty firm when you first get them, but they soften up a bit with use--not too much, thankfully! The only real issue is that they aren't a 100% consistent thickness, and sometimes they can warp a little (admittedly, it gets to nearly 120 degrees here, so that may not be a problem for everyone). I haven't found either of those things to be a real issue in training--they're just aesthetic. I got mine on Amazon.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society