• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you practice Sanchin kata?

username19853

I’m talking about the one used in Kuro Obi, but any styles version of it.

If so, why do you practice it?

What value does it bring to your training?

If it’s not a part of your style, is it a kata you would pick up, and why OR why not?

Just a recent question that popped into my head during this quarantine!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I do practice Sanchin, but it's been an evolving kata for me. The version I first learned in Shuri-Ryu had been modified pretty significantly from the Goju-Kai version it originated from. After I left the style, I started trying to adapt what I had learned to fit the Jundokan Goju-Ryu version. Recently, however, I've been working on the Bugeikan's Shuri Sanchin, and that will probably become my default version of practice. I honestly prefer Tensho, because it combines not only the structural development but also softer muchimidi components.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Yes, but I will admit I do not practice it in a classical manner. I avoid the Valsalva breathing method often used. I much prefer the method of breathing I learnt in Tai Chi: I move as my breathing dictates instead of controlling my breathing.

I also tend to focus on its isometric qualities with regard to muscle training. Thus, I tend to move in cycles of tension and relaxation, rather than maintaining tension throughout.

Personally, it takes the boredom out of isometrics for me. I do not particularly enjoy isometric training, but it is useful for training to avoid injury. Furthermore, training to breathe while holding your self in a combative state is always important to return to. I generally use it at the end of my strength training to cool down.

Finally, I practice a number of Naha Te Kata, and the root of them is Sanchin. There are principles of motion in the Sanchin Kata, and rudimentary techniques, that Sanchin has and I need to practice.

R. Keith Williams

I've trained in Sanchin, even though it's NOT part of our Kata List. I have trained in the Sanchin as taught by Morio Higaonna Sensei, albeit, I've trained in many other kata's from other MA styles because they added value to my MA betterment.

No MA style contains everything, therefore, all MA styles have limitations. Therefore, while I cherish Shindokan over all MA styles, I've quite aware of Shindokan limitations, in which, the Kata's of other MA styles, do increase the value of my MA betterment.

While Sanchin, as well as a number of other Kata's outside of Shindokan, aren't part of our curriculum officially, I'll still teach other Kata's to my students for the reasons I've already stated. Having said that, Kata's outside of Shindokan are NEVER part of a Testing Cycle. I'll train those outside Kata's to my students, and will give them that which has been given/taught to me so that they can use them if they see value for their MA betterment.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I train Sanchin, our version comes from Mas Oyama, not sure where he took it from, Tensho also, I enjoy them both, Sanchin for me is a very intense kata, and I take it quite slowly, slower than most others in our dojo. Tensho, I enjoy as it is more flowing .

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

In Uechi-Ryu, there is a saying, "Everything goes back to Sanchin". Sanchin is the very first kata we learn. Almost every class we do starts with 3 things: junbi undo (warm-up exercises), hojo undo (accessory/technique exercises), and sanchin kata. We typically practice sanchin three times in each class, with the CI walking through and evaluating people's stances and and sometimes pushing/pulling/striking them to test them.

Our practice of Sanchin is also significantly different than the Goju-Ryu version. All strikes in Sanchin are spear-finger strikes, and our strikes are mostly soft. Your whole body will be tense as you chamber, your arm loosens up for a fast strike, and then towards the end of the strike, you tense the entire arm again.

One other hallmark of Uechi-Ryu is the "ssst" breathing. During Sanchin, we are taught to keep the entire body tense throughout the kata. For each step, we inhale into the gut as we chamber, we hold our breath/tension as we strike, and then after the strike/reset, we exhale under tension with a "ssst". It's supposed to be a relatively shallow breathing technique.

Why do we do it? According to my CI, we do it so that if we ever get into a real fight, we can absorb hits by an opponent in the commonly hit areas -- forearms, lats, pecs, abs, quads, and shins. (Keep in mind that we also train kote kitae, or "forearm forging", which strengthens the muscles and bones in the forearms and legs).

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

• 2 weeks later...

If it’s not a part of your style, is it a kata you would pick up, and why OR why not?

I practice Sanchin Kata regularly, as it brings a level of focus back into my training. But also it reminds me to actively engage my body throughout my training.

Even when I practice my kihon, it is furthered more as I practice the kata.

• 1 month later...

Yes I practice sanchin. There’s so many reasons. So many lessons that permeate the other kata as well as reinforcing principles. Punching, blocking, rooting. So much there.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

I train Sanchin, our version comes from Mas Oyama, not sure where he took it from, Tensho also, I enjoy them both, Sanchin for me is a very intense kata, and I take it quite slowly, slower than most others in our dojo. Tensho, I enjoy as it is more flowing .

Mas Oyama most likely learned Sanchin from Gogen Yamaguchi and/or Nei-Chu So (Goju Kai). People love to say Oyama trained under Chojun Miyagi, but I’m pretty sure it was minimal; as in when Miyagi visited Yamaguchi’s and/or So’s dojo. I’m pretty sure he learned all Goju kata from them two. Oyama did exaggerate the movements iIn Sanchin a bit, like he did with practically every kata he taught.

Yamaguchi performing Sanchin:

Yamaguchi performing Sanchin then Tensho before Sanchin ends (notice the breathing):

Yamaguchi performing Sanchin:

Yamaguchi performing Sanchin then Tensho before Sanchin ends (notice the breathing):

Interesting JR, I'm diggin that Gi jacket!!!!!

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford