• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been almost 2 years since I posted this, and things have changed quite a bit. I finished my degree (PhD in Computer Science), moved to the Denver area, and (most relevant to here), found a new martial arts school to attend. It's actually right across the street from my son's grade school, and he's doing great there. He started out with lessons at his before/after school care, then we moved him to classes taught out of our local rec center, and now we're at the instructor's main school. (All these classes are with the same instructor). My son has advanced to junior green belt (rokkyu-sho), and is having a great time.

I have been thoroughly impressed with the instructor as well. He's in his early to mid-30's, and has been training since he was around age 4 or 5. He is testing for his rokudan (6th degree) in Uechi-Ryu next month, and he will bringing the head instructor for the organization out to our dojo to teach several seminars and help administer the black belt tests. What I really like about this instructor is that he still travels to seminars several times per year (for example, he went to Okinawa at the beginning of August to attend the 1st annual okinawan international seminar/tournament, even though he had just broken his arm the month prior.

So about 3 weeks ago, I went ahead and signed up in his classes too. I was worried about being out of shape (I'd really beat myself up over the past year and a half finishing the PhD and had gained a fair bit of weight back). I'm a white belt again, but I'm having a lot of fun at it. The basics are slightly different from what I'm used to, but the muscle memory is still mostly there. Most importantly, I'm having fun in the classes, starting to feel better (albeit with lots of soreness for a couple days after each class), and on Saturdays, he hosts a sparring class that my son and I get to attend together.

I'm now working on 2 new katas (sanchin and kanshiwa), and I've got the basic techniques down on both of them, so now Sensei is just correcting me on my mistakes, instead of having to teach me the moves. It's a good feeling and a lot of fun.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Welcome to KF. Glad you are here.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll