• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ladies chest protection

Socksey

I was hoping some of the ladies in the forum could make some suggestions.

My club are putting together a team for a competition next year, which sounds like fun and I'm up for.

I've been told I will need some sort of chest protection as there is some striking allowed as well as grappling ( no idea why as never used one in 20+ years of karate and other MA).... anyway, if that's what the rules say then I'll comply. I've looked at some of the chest protection available and my big problem is that I'm basically flat chested so all the ones I've looked at won't fit as they are too big....

Serious question..... any suggestions regarding brands or fittings etc...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Probably required due to insurance. As to type, it depends on what the competition rules allow but I've used both of the types here:

https://www.bytomic.com/maxi-guard-chest-protector-p/m1.htm

https://www.bytomic.com/cool-guard-bra-inserts-p/ci.htm

My personal preference is the second type of inserts as I found the maxi type too cumbersome and that it trapped heat. As for being flat chested... I can't speak from personal experience but friends seem to have no problem with either type.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Depending on the Competition it will vary for chest protection.

From memory for any karate competition that uses the WKF Rules requires females to have a breastplate in addition to the chest protector (Covers torso).

Usually I recommend adidas for chest protectors and the same for the breast plates. As majority of the Karate related equipment they sell are all WKF Approved.

Any guidelines for sparring with a woman with and without, I hate sparring with a woman with no chest protector, and even if she is wearing one (I always ask), I struggle to target the chest area either way, normally while she lays into me with gay abandon!

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Imo, treat them like anyone else, They know martial arts are a contact sport and they are there to train. The few I know hate when a male takes it easy, and hate having to wear a protector in the first place. insurance...

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

Any guidelines for sparring with a woman with and without, I hate sparring with a woman with no chest protector, and even if she is wearing one (I always ask), I struggle to target the chest area either way, normally while she lays into me with gay abandon!

Personally it would bother me more if you made a point of not hitting me. I can understand why it might bother you to hit a female there but trust me, if a woman is doing a martial art, she's going to expect to get hit in the chest and it won't be an issue for her.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

If your rules require chest protection, check their requirements. That might limit your options.

The Cool Guards that DWx mentioned are great! Many women find the two separate inserts more comfortable than the larger one piece units, and they wrap around the sides a little more than standard turtle shell type inserts. Some rules might require sternum protection, which these don't have.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Me too. I know it's more our issue than their's, but something tells me it's wrong to intentionally hit a woman in the chest. If I told women it was ok to hit me in the groin, I'm sure they'd have their reservations too.

I tell myself to not let it bother me, but I definitely hesitate and ease up. Then add to that that I'm sure a few don't want to be hit there (but no ones said explicitly do or don't) and it's a no win situation in my mind. Yes, the problem's mine, and I'm making more out of it than I should, but it is what it is.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies.... I think that I'll try the 2 piece ones.... the rules don't specify....

It's funny as it never occurred to me that the chest would be a target (in sport MA) ... any more than the groin would be... I don't hit men or women in the chest as it seems a little ineffective... who knows...

• 7 months later...

Chest strikes are effective when you are delivering heavy, acceleration type compression strikes to the lungs. Not all strikes have to be soft tissue peak impact soft tissue injuries. My win conditions for self defense are completely agnostic about damaging the attacker. A strike that temporarily diminishes their threat or moves them out of position is an effective one.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia