• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Returning to Karate

116.ghost-thunder.828

Hi people. I'm considering relearning "Goju ryu Karate" and I got some questions. I'm 18 (and a wee bit overweight) when I was a little kid(I was 5) I went to a dojo called Karate kountry and went until a certain point. Then in 2007 moved from Indiana to Mississippi thus circumventing me getting back into it ( if I wanted to). I'm now wanting to get back into it but my family is poor. Now my Mom did in fact go to this dojo and she almost became a "black belt" but due to our move never was able to go to her. Could she help me relearn it ? Also what should I do if I wanted to relearn Karate(I stopped at yellow belt when I was 5)[/i]

Edited by 116.ghost-thunder.828

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Depends how long ago she was in training, she may be able to help you but shouldn't be your sole source of training, ideally you should try to attend a class. Trying to learn it yourself or from someone who doesn't really do it anymore isn't recommended, would be too easy to pick up bad habits... you need an instructor who knows what they are doing to watch and correct you.

Just what I think..

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Hey there,

What I would do, As someone who took a gap is training is just pick a Dojo with an instructor you like. Join, and then do what sensei says to improve, and practice. That's the secret.

Don't worry about being overweight, and don't compare yourself to others. Karate is about self improvement. You will be fine :)

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

Hey there,

What I would do, As someone who took a gap is training is just pick a Dojo with an instructor you like. Join, and then do what sensei says to improve, and practice. That's the secret.

Don't worry about being overweight, and don't compare yourself to others. Karate is about self improvement. You will be fine :)

Hey there,

Okay so an update. I found out my mom study Karate for atleast 5 years if that helps any. Now my financial situation doesn't allow for me to take classes right now (can't even go to the dentist) Could I possibly study by myself and with my mom?

All depends what your hoping to get out of your training, you don't need our permission to do what you want.

I Used to actually train with a family member that hadn't done it for a few years, but I was also training in proper classes.

Do as you wish, train with her for now just be careful not to pick up any bad habits and if the chance arises that you can join a club take it.

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

I'm sure she still remembers some things. Working out together may be a great thing for both you and your mom. Try to keep in mind though, she may have forgotten some things, especially if she has been out for a long time. When you are able to afford classes, learn and practice what is shown to you by your head instructor.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 2 weeks later...

She can probably help you to a small extent, but can also be detrimental because she could be helping you the wrong way.

What I mean is that she might help you with the technique but not correct you in the way that an active student/instructor can.

Since you have a poor financial situation atm, you should speak to the Chief Instructor to see if there is something that they can do for you. Because I know that many schools will charge a small fee or nothing at all because they want to help you learn.

I have trained several people free of charge because they are unable to pay a monthly fee or pay for lessons due to unemployment or they are so tight on a budget every week.