• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Breathing issue

Proper breathing is an important part of training, but I is not as easy to do as it seems. Without proper breathing the body cannot absorb the maximum oxygen needed to sustain strenuous physical activity for very long.

My teacher explained that breathing should be deep and low(abdominal breathing) and not shallow as in chest breathing. Although I understand the idea, I just can't seem to succeed in breathing that way. My breathing always feels too shallow and there is a tightness in the middle of my chest(plexus area). When this happens whatever kata or drill I am practising falls apart because I have to pause to catch my breath.

If anyone has any insight or tips on breathing it would be helpful.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you practice controlling your breathing at all?

When you are puffed out concentrate on very deep longer breathes, that break the rhythm of those shallow fast ones. A start anyway, then you can work on adding them to your exercise.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Proper breathing techniques oxygenate your muscles, and this is important because if your going to perform your body needs to get oxygen to the muscles or they will stop working, and that's just not good for a MAist.

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It takes a lot of practice to get the hang of. When your breathing are you inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth?

Since every single kata is different finding the point to inhale and exhale is different as each technique is different.

You might find it helpful to practice breath control during meditation. Breathing abdominally and counting to five or more on both the inbreath and the outbreath with a two-count at full inhalation and exhalation can help to get you used to both abdominal breathing and the focussing effect of controlled breathing. Once you have the hang of it while sitting you can try applying it to your kata.

I think your teacher is right in that it sounds as though you aren't breathing deep enough. You could try just sitting and concentrating on your breathing, trying to breathe from your abdomen and make your stomach expand on each breath in.

Or there are plenty of exercises for breathing you could do. Look on Youtube for exercises that singers and musicians use to engage the diaphragm properly:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I am somewhat able to breathe right when trying to cool down or relax. The problem is trying to do it while in action. It feels as if the breath will not go any lower than the solar plexus area, not the belly where it is supposed to go.

After a while of intense effort I have trouble breathing deeply and unconsciously revert back to shallow chest breathing until exhaustion. That is usually when whatever I am practising falls apart. Mind blanks, adding or forgetting techniques or steps etc.

When doing an activity, it helps to find a rhythm to help regulate your breathing. During basics, I usually inhale when I chamber, and exhale upon execution. In forms, I try to regulate based on move combinations and such.

I think the big key is that when you are done and have a rest, take that time to really take big, deep breaths and let them out slowly, on a 3 or 5 count. That will help.

I also think a big part of this is cardiovascular endurance. The higher the endurance, the easier it might be to regulate the breathing.

Ibuki is made specifically to asset in increasing depth of breath while under tension.

It is worth looking up, and better yet, having someone show you how to do it properly.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Zazen is a great time to practice breathing.

You can do this in the dojo or in your own time.

I do this frequently to get my body used to breathing in this way.

It helps between kihon, katas and kumite - you feel the benefits.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi