Gis and undershirts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very few males at my dojo wear a top underneath the gi (Covers both Juniors and Adults). But in relation to females it is obviously more common.

In the adults class the ladies wear either a top or a sports bra underneath their gi. More of the females that are competitors

In the same classes there are like 5 guys that wear a top underneath because hygiene.

Personally, I have a tendancy to overheat easily, so I never wear a t-shirt under my gi.

For my students, girls are required to wear a t-shirt under their gi top, guys it's optional unless there's an "issue" with them wanting to expose their chests frequently and flauntingly (yes, it has happened more than once).

However, because most of the places that I've used as dojos in the past were NOT air conditioned, I allowed my students to wear gi pants and solid color t-shirts during the hot summer months. We didn't practice alot of grabbing techniques in the summer because of it..but no biggie..there are 9 other months to do that! :D

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

...guys it's optional unless there's an "issue" with them wanting to expose their chests frequently and flauntingly (yes, it has happened more than once)

hahaha, what kind of classes you teaching!? :lol: :brow:

I am not surprised at all.

I strongly encourage it at my place, to the point that I've just about made it mandatory. A rashguard or tee is fine, I wear both.

From a BJJ standpoint, at some point, you're going to be in close (very close) proximity, stuck to the ground while someone crushes you. I don't like un-impeded sweat being smashed into my face skin to skin. I know it's not traditional, but I just don't.

For grappling arts, I really like a rashguard or undershirt on.

I've seen it both ways. I do the traditional arts in my school and in the karate class most wear T-Shirts under their gi tops.

In the BJJ classes though most seem to do the opposite. Men don't wear anything and women a tank top underneath, or many just rock a sports bra. Nobody cares because the adult and children classes are totally isolated from each other and it seems the attitude in my school is, people are there to train, not gawk at each other anyway. I guess you do see some rash guards in the mix too. Our school recently handed them out with school branding on them if we wanted them, so some wear those to show school pride.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

• 11 months later...

While I don't enforce any particular rules regarding the wearing of t-shirts and the like, I do enforce that it be appropriate. That just simply means, if you're female, better wear something under the gi top that's appropriate. Wandering eyes from the men, angers me because it's disrespectful and uncalled for, and won't be tolerated at all.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My club does enforce any rules about wearing T-shirts under the GI. and I personalty never wear a t-shirt under my GI.

But for those who do, We ask that they use the free club shirt, or a plain white T-shirt.

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com