• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is a mc dojo??

bigjono

Hi to all from Australia, my question is what is a mc dojo? people refer to these quite often, teachings not in line with other schools? sensei not registered? school not registered?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McDojo in short is a dojo that focuses only on money and not on the art itself. There are many sites out there that give a warning on what it is.

Some signs of a McDojo:

1. Kids with black belts and/or high level dan black belts: I can't say this is a 100% of the time yet most the time it is a sign of a McDojo.

2. People making up there own style by combining multiple styles together is another. Just like 1 this is a sign yet there may be a few legits out there. The biggest thing of this is can it be traced back in lineage of the different combinations.

3. A lot of belts and/or Stripes on belts ie: Camo belts or 2 or 3 levels of different belt. Like the last can be a sign yet not 100% of the time.

4. the list goes on.

A money making machine that basically teaches dances rather than actual self defense. Little to non-contact sparring if there's any sparring at all. That's usually hidden behind the excuse of "these techniques are too deadly to practice on someone else." The chief instructor usually promoted himself/herself to current rank and previous ranks. Claims black belts in multiple systems, yet has no realistic training in them. Black belt in 2 years or less. Students have awful technique, as does the chief instructor.

Basically, the instructor and the students couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, yet the keep getting promoted. There are a ton of belts that each test for them costs an absurd amount, everyone passes regardless of ability, there's always long-term contracts, and they cost a lot.

Birthday parties, dojo mascots, after-school programs that include a playground, making your own kata/forms with tons of backflips and set to music, lights and fog machines while wearing glow in the dark gis, and using glow in the dark weapons like bos and nunchaku.

Head instructors wearing patches that say things like "expert" "head instructor" "great kicks" "great spirit" "black belt club" or anything else that should be obvious without a patch saying it.

The list keeps going and going. Sadly, these things exist. Some legit places may have a few from the list. If there's more, get out.

McDojo can be summed up by a place about 5 blocks from where I work. One of my students goes there (I'm a middle school teacher). I asked her mother how much it costs, pretending I was interested in my daughter going (their website doesn't list prices). She's on the black belt plan - $2500 down, $130 a month until she "earns" her black belt. Typical time - 2 years. She's an extraordinary athlete. She'll get it probably a year and a half.

They've got all the ridiculousness I mentioned earlier. Playground, mascot, kata "performances," self promoted "expert," and so on. They have regular in-house tournaments where the smallest trophy is about 3 feet tall. No one walks out without one. No exaggerating, trophies outnumber students at least 2:1.

In short; it is a very clumsy term that is often best avoided in conversation. However, it is a useful catch all for discussing Martial arts clubs/centers which have unethical business practices.

Usual signs are either an unusually high number of belts/ranks to black belt; with half-grades or stripes for both junior and adult attendees. The intent being to keep grading more regular, and as grading processes often incur an extra fee the owners can make more money on a regular basis. The caveat of this being that the grading is so regular and the requirements for each grade so reduced that the process of grading in itself loses meaning; as there is no possible way to progress in the time between grading, and the levels of knowledge between each grade is often indivisible from the last. Although it is often questioned when double rankings are allowed; you are more likely to find rigid thinking against in such an organisation as the grading is where they make their money.

Another is the allowance to skip Dan grades, and to progress through them at an unusual pace. This is rarer, however, as often those practicing these methods will try to prevent people progressing into positions where they might feel privileged to have a degree of power in the organisation. If one finds themselves in a situation where the Dan grades with the higher grades seem closest to the head instructor, but whose technique and knowledge does not reflect well against their junior peers, this is usually this in action.

Another are hidden costs, if one is paying a regular fee. Often a McDojo will offer a fixed, and regular tuition fee, which will be sold as allowing full access to the facilities and classes. However, later they will inform you of special classes, that you "should" attend if you hope to progress, but that involve an extra cost that is not covered by the now declared to be standard package. They might also, after initial training, inform you of the need to buy regular insurance; as you are no longer covered under a so called "beginners" clause in the initial contract. Insurance is not unusual in the Martial Arts, but if it is more regular than an annual renewal, than the money is probably not going towards keeping you covered most of time.

Further one is that of Junior or childrens' classes. Many places with ethical business models do provide these, but, the difference is often in the time provided to train, the ages allowed, and the cost. A good childrens' class should last approximately an hour, and should involve both authentic martial arts training, and something to keep the children entertained. The minimum age should also be something sensible such as 5-7 years, and the costs should be competitive with sending the child to another sport. If the class is incredibly short, the price excessive compared to other sports or even just sending them to a care program, and there is no emphasis on the child be able to demonstrate what they are learning from class to class then it is merely a money making exercise.

To reiterate as well; often black-belt programs and clubs are a solid sign. They are again another hidden cost approach, as often a person who has it in them to earn a black belt will do so without the aid of a special program, and secondly the club is designed to feed the mystique of the black-belt. It is designed to feed the chase of rank, but also provide a way to retain black-belts as they are given a sense of privilege and of belonging at the dojo.

These are the most insidious signs, in my experience, of a McDojo. I have encountered places with poor business ethics, but on paper, their knowledge and what they were teaching was sound. How they provided access to what they were teaching though was unethical.

R. Keith Williams

making your own kata/forms with tons of backflips and set to music, lights and fog machines while wearing glow in the dark gis, and using glow in the dark weapons like bos and nunchaku.

Wow, I would pay to see that! (Well actually no, but still be fun to watch)

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

The best way to explain it is to explain the orgin of the term. I don't know what kind of reputation McDonalds has in Aussie, but here in America, its not exactly regarded as the pinicle of good food. Their burgers have all the trappings of a Hambruger, but it pales in comparison to a truly well made and tasty bruger. McDonald are quick, cheat, and not very healthy.

A Mc Dojo is similar, but martial arts instead of culinary arts. It may teach you some basic kicks and punches, but its all back giving you a "drive-thru" Martial Art. The style served in a McDojo is a poor tasting, quickly throw together, cheap art. Its a school made mostly so the owner can make a cheap buck.