• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Children in the class

I don't have a problem with kids and I think it's great they're getting involved with the Martial Arts, but this is a serious source of frustration for me because while most of them are very hard working and quite sensible, the others are very lazy, mess around all the time and don't take their karate seriously.

I feel like it brings other people down in the class and lowers the standard of the clubs, does anyone else have this problem?

If this is as pertinent a problem as I believe it is, would it be worth putting on senior grades and/or adults only nights?

I appreciate one gets people like this in all walks of life and from all ages, but I don't believe other Karateka should suffer for someone else's lack of discipline/motivation.

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You always get them, the best thing I believe you can do is to simply not let it disrupt your training, if you train with complete focus you should be able to zone out such behavior, in fact think of it as a test of your focus.

let it motivate you to train harder and be an example to the others in the class to show them how they should be training.

If it really does get bad maybe consider speaking to the instructor, when I started having enough kids coming to my class I started running a separate session for them before the adults class.

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

I don't have a problem with kids and I think it's great they're getting involved with the Martial Arts, but this is a serious source of frustration for me because while most of them are very hard working and quite sensible, the others are very lazy, mess around all the time and don't take their karate seriously.

I feel like it brings other people down in the class and lowers the standard of the clubs, does anyone else have this problem?

If this is as pertinent a problem as I believe it is, would it be worth putting on senior grades and/or adults only nights?

I appreciate one gets people like this in all walks of life and from all ages, but I don't believe other Karateka should suffer for someone else's lack of discipline/motivation.

I was glad to see the bold type above because what your OP speaks about CAN also be found in ADULTS too. I always get a smile on my face when someone doesn't want to teach kids for whatever the reason(s) might be, and this is because, all of us were once kids too. It takes a special type of a MA instructor to teach kids, more so than adults. I find it very enjoyable in teaching kids. Yes, motivations and work ethics vary in kids, but this is also true of adults.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This all boils down to class control. If the instructor doesn't have proper control, nor endeavours to keep it, there are going to be issues.

Something else to consider is that sometimes people, both children and adults, may act out because they're frustrated and that is how they act it out. Perhaps they're not getting what is being taught, and are too afraid to speak up. A conversation from the instructor (or chief instructor) may be all that's needed.

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

It used to annoy me too, me with a pool of sweat on the floor and a few kids just going through the motions. Now I just ignore their slack training ethos and try and stay focused on my own training.

Everyone knows who the "slackers" are in any club.

The results . or lack of at the next grading will be obvious for all to see....................

Then we have some amazing kids that take their training very seriously, this is one of the things I most enjoy out of being in a club, seeing kids get focused and apply themselves to being serious about their karate.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Adults...children...if they don't want to put forward any effort, that's fine; it's their choice. It's my choice to never ever invite them into a testing cycle!! Don't misunderstand me, I will constantly encourage them to put effort into their training, but there's a time when encouragement is frowned upon by the student. I'll never give up on any of my students...EVER!! That doesn't mean that I will invite them into a testing cycle because they've been there for some time.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Personally I can understand why you become frustrated by this.

When the kids finish school for the day, many will acknowledge that they still need to work hard and they are the ones that get the most out of the class. Whilst others don't try and just "go through the motions" because they are unable to focus for that extra amount of time.

But I do believe it comes down to the instructors having a level of control and ability to get ALL students to work hard. And to have them realize that by working hard for that little bit extra that they will find it more enjoyable and fun all whilst learning something new.

Many of my students have realized that and have started working harder during their classes, so that I can say yes and pass them on their tests. But that better behavior isn't just restricted to the days that they get tested, it actually goes into every single class they attend. Maybe it is because I come across as 'scary' but when they think about how tough of an instructor I am, they see that by working hard and giving it their all then I am actually not that bad.

One of my students recently come up to me after class and actually apologized for his poor behavior since he had started training (he started training in 2006). He told me that he was under the impression for all those years that he could just train and have fun with minimal rules. Me being tough on him for all those years never sunk into him, until the other day when he was forced to think about it. He was forced to think about it as he was recently assaulted and he tried to defend himself and failed.

Many will say we failed in teaching him fully, but in reality we actually had tried to test and push him every single class for those years for him to realize that poor behavior like that is worse than anything else. All he had to do was listen and learn to what we were saying and asking him to do.

But back to the original point, when kids don't try at my dojo I fail them if they are being tested on something. IF their attitude isn't in the right place on the day then they aren't passing on my watch.

We teach Juniors 4-7 and then Adults 7-9 (1 hour classes), with how advanced they are on each of the hours. Yes many of our juniors don't try all that much but it is also prevalent in the adults where they slack off.

On a personal level i am not affected by others lack of motivation because I am self motivated and also focus a lot on my training all whilst careful of those around me. But it does sometimes get on my nerve when those who aren't trying are partnered with me and they try and lower the ability for me to learn. That is when it annoys me the most! Although on the other hand I let it serve a purpose for me to not get to that point in my training where I don't try anymore. In other words it is a visual reminder.

well in my karate studio children are separate from adult unless your a teenager well in the adult class theres kids grade 6 like 5 of them but they are doing good

patience is a virtue for me because i have to be patience when teaching kids I know some kids don't listen or they goof around and some are lazy but the only way for them to listen is you have to be in charge make sure they listen and make sure they pay attention and make sure they are following what you said and also make sure the student makes eye contact with the instructor

I'm a blue belt in american Kenpo karate but i volunteer to help teach kids with their kenpo thats why im in the Swat team my Sifu Said Make teaching fun and exciting but you have to be in control at the same time thats why i love teaching kids and I love american kenpo karate and I know My instructor trust me on becoming a Swat team and Teaching kids

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

I was glad to see the bold type above because what your OP speaks about CAN also be found in ADULTS too. I always get a smile on my face when someone doesn't want to teach kids for whatever the reason(s) might be, and this is because, all of us were once kids too. It takes a special type of a MA instructor to teach kids, more so than adults. I find it very enjoyable in teaching kids. Yes, motivations and work ethics vary in kids, but this is also true of adults.

I have learnt just as much from teaching kids, even the "troublesome" ones, as I have from my own training lessons over the years.

Teaching the younglings (and adults too i guess) has a tendency to make me look at the way I do things, correcting and enhancing my personal knowledge along the way :)

EIT- to the OP, we tend to take the kids/teens out of their classes and have them train with the teens/adults respectively if they are serious enough and can handle the intensity of the class. appears to work well.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I have learnt just as much from teaching kids, even the "troublesome" ones, as I have from my own training lessons over the years.

Teaching the younglings (and adults too i guess) has a tendency to make me look at the way I do things, correcting and enhancing my personal knowledge along the way :)

True. In order to explain something effectively you first need to understand it yourself, teaching others is a good way to explore the gaps in your own knowledge that are not always easy to spot on their own. However you can only teach people (young or old) who wish to be taught. I am not a great fan of children but the ones who turn up just to go through the motions are still subsidising my own training so I can thank them for their contribution to the running of the club.