• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weapons and your local laws

njc81

Hi guys i dont know if this is a thread that has been covered before but im curious to know of not only the laws in Victoria, Australia but in different parts of the world. We do have rather strict laws around sai's and nunchucks were you need to be a licenced weapons holder to own them or so im led to believe. If anyone knows different let me know.

Thanks

You're only as good as your last training session

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reporting from the state of North Carolina in the United States - I don't think there are any laws regarding those types of weapons other than not having them concealed. In this state we also have full open carry of firearms permitted (minus schools, government buildings etc) and concealed carry of pistols with a permit. Laws by state and local municipalities can vary.

CD

New Zealand here.

No licensing or paperwork at all.

I just bought a pair of Sai on the internet last month, arrived at my doorstep in 2 days.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Thats what i was led to believe Nidan Melbourne, thanks for the link. It's interesting to hear from other parts of the world as well. Nidan do you have a weapons licence?

Over here you can have sai and nunchaku without a license, you just can't carry them in public without good reason. I can practise with any martial arts weapon I like in private but the minute you set foot outside your property you need a reason to carry even a screwdriver in public. It always made me laugh (inwardly, I don't want no trouble!) that the Police confiscated straight razors, stanley knives and the like from youths at the bus station while I sat there with a razor sharp shinken by my side. I occasionally had to show my BKA license to prove I was a bona fide martial artist and always avoided travelling during football matches but on the whole I had no trouble. These days I only ever carry small weapons in a padlocked bag at the bottom of my kitbag so I never even get stopped.

Here in New York nothing is legal to carry, unless you have a concealed pistol permit. There is no specification on the length of a knife you can carry, so any knife, and anything else you mentioned, is illegal for carry here.

few good replies here, the contrasts in laws between US states as well. is there anymore Australians out there from across the other states?

Here in New York nothing is legal to carry, unless you have a concealed pistol permit. There is no specification on the length of a knife you can carry, so any knife, and anything else you mentioned, is illegal for carry here.

Believe it or not that's not true. In NYS It is in fact legal to own Hunting knifes, Daggers, Stilettos, Pocket knifes, and Multi tools. and carry them in the open or concealed. However it gets messy as intent is the legal decider. It's the presumption that if a knife is in your possession and you are stopped, you intend to use it to harm someone else. So don't open carry. (you can fight it in court, but not worth it) Switchblades, and gravity knifes you need a hunting license for.

Within NYC, A knifes blade needs to be less then 4", and it must be concealed. and Again intent is the legal decider. It's the presumption that if a knife is in your possession and you are stopped, you intend to use it to harm someone else.

So while it is "legal", don't carry unless you have a reason, or know the right people. "Self defense" while legal will most likely give you a court date.

knifeup.com has a good article on NYS knife laws.

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com