• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too much or not enough

On average I train 8-10 hours in a week. Two years ago I had a very bad stamina problem and would struggle to train intensively for more than 20minutes. Although I have improved this to some degree, I still get sudden drops in energy and stamina causing what I can only describe as a disconnect between my mind and my limbs.

I start to feel light-headed and my limbs feel very heavy. At that point I can no longer maintain my balance, my concentration or my techniques at the same level. I have the impression that I have become weaker, but I this does not seem to be the real reason I struggle.

Any ideas?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have you been checked out by a doc?

If I do too much, things become harder and I get tired more easily. Taking it easy for a while helps with that. What you describe sounds a bit more extreme though. If rest doesn't help, I'd get looked at.

I have a central nervous system issue that causes something like that. My situation is highly unusual, though, so I wouldn't expect you to be experiencing the same thing. I would definitely recommend getting a workup done by your doctor, though--you could have a hormone imbalance, or a nutritional deficiency, or something like that.

If your health checks out, then I would say you may want to start a HIIT (high intensity interval training) regimen. Start out with something short, and work to progressively increase the length of the session. This is probably the most efficient form of exercise for overall fitness, and helps your body deal with relatively short bursts of exertion (kata, drills, etc), as well as building endurance.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

What are you typically doing when you feel this disconnect? How long have you been training when it occurs? e.g. jogging and it affects you after 20 minutes.

What is your diet like? Your sleep cycle?

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Usually the disconnection hits after about a half hour to 45 minutes. It can happen sooner if I am doing something more intense such as punch, block or kick repetitions and concentrated sets of a single kata. About 2 years ago I used to shutdown after only 20 minutes of intense activity, which is the pre-training warm up before starting anything else at my dojo.

I have somewhat improved but breathing the correct way(abdominal/diaphragm) is still a conscious effort. It really seems as if I have reached a point of stagnation as far as stamina and power etc...

As far as I know I do not have and never had any kind of physical conditions or sickness that might interfere with my activity level. In fact, I feel weaker and lethargic if I spend a single day without doing any sort of training or practising. on days like that I have trouble going to sleep, and when I do it is interrupted by nightmares or I wake up with painful cramps or soreness, which go away after a day or two of my usual activity.

Usually the disconnection hits after about a half hour to 45 minutes. It can happen sooner if I am doing something more intense such as punch, block or kick repetitions and concentrated sets of a single kata. About 2 years ago I used to shutdown after only 20 minutes of intense activity, which is the pre-training warm up before starting anything else at my dojo.

I have somewhat improved but breathing the correct way(abdominal/diaphragm) is still a conscious effort. It really seems as if I have reached a point of stagnation as far as stamina and power etc...

As far as I know I do not have and never had any kind of physical conditions or sickness that might interfere with my activity level. In fact, I feel weaker and lethargic if I spend a single day without doing any sort of training or practising. on days like that I have trouble going to sleep, and when I do it is interrupted by nightmares or I wake up with painful cramps or soreness, which go away after a day or two of my usual activity.

OK I'd suggest seeing your doctor about it then, there's too many things it could be. Its better to go to the pro in this case.

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Might be a daft question but, are you fuelling your body properly before a training session? If I don't eat before a class, I can feel very sluggish indeed. Try eating some complex carbohydrates such as wholegrain bread or pasta, potatoes and brown rice an hour or two before class, then have a banana just before you begin. After class have a small snack high in protein to help with muscle repair and fatigue. Knowing when to fuel your body is just as important as knowing what to eat, if not more so.

But as others have said, it might be better to seek a professional opinion.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

I side with the others and recommend seeing a doctor about this. I don't know if it could be some kind of exercise-induced asthma or something, but definitely look into it.

An old adage says...

"You can have to much of a good thing", or something like that. A balance must be reached, and while improving the betterment of a MAist is a good thing, but too much of a good thing unbalances the betterment of the MAists body.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Sugar?to much or 2 little causes this.

Inca Warriors - Warriors of the Inca people were brainwashed for many years to forget fear completely until they became fearless to everything and then they were officially a warrior.