Drinking alcohol

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! This is a big step and it's not easy. Remember to be kind to yourself on this new journey.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Congrats! This is a big step and it's not easy. Remember to be kind to yourself on this new journey.

Thanks.

I had quit drinking for a long time but then I started up again. I realize I feel much better physically and mentally when I am sober. Drinking, even in moderation, does not help me move forward in life. Instead, it holds me back. It steals my time, money, and health. It is no longer a matter of a want; it is a need. I think I have consumed enough booze for one lifetime, and I've had my final alcoholic drink.

Just to be clear I am not an alcoholic; I just know I feel better when I avoid it and as I get older that becomes more and more important to me. I think we know many of the long-term health effects of prolonged excessive drinking. I am choosing my health and my body instead of alcohol.

In no way is this a lecture to anyone else who drinks, I have plenty of friends who drink and do it frequently and, sometimes, excessively. It's their life and that is fine, I am not here to judge, simply sharing my feelings about it. That is all.

KarateKen,

I think you made a good choice. I have nothing against people who drink, but I quite drinking myself in 2008 and haven't looked back.

Karate no michi! :karate:

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

It was one week ago today, at this time (3:00am central) that I was telling myself never to touch alcohol again. I had a big day coming up and wanted to get a full night of sleep, I got about two hours of that drunk sleep which is possibly the most ineffective sleep there is. I can honestly say (as I am sure I have at least a half dozen times after nights like that one) I have no desire to drink ever again.

I appreciate the support. One of the tougher things of quitting drinking is the social aspect. There is so much pressure and celebration of drinking in our culture as it is advertised everywhere I look. There are many problems with excessive drinking, not the least of which are sleeping issues.

I'm going to bed.

Best of luck - hopefully it all goes well :) just remind yourself of the benefits and hopefully that will help.

When my father quit smoking years ago he did so cold turkey but in an interesting way that i think could work for people. He went out and bought several packets of cigarettes and placed them (unopened) in places he would normally see them (in the car, in the living room, upstairs in the house, in his desk at work). He then told himself every day that he had managed to leave them sealed for X days / years so lets see if he could get one more. He always said that having them easily accessible if he had been of a mind to use them helped with the cravings etc. as it wasn't something that he really wanted and couldn't have easily (he was a psychologist and gave this a lot of thought!). He also, initially, put away his usual cigarette spend each week and when it accumulated he bought something larger (he loved cameras so would get new lenses etc.) and reminded himself that he could only buy that because he had not smoked for X amount of time. From then, for the next 30 years or so until he passed away he also still referred to himself as a smoker, just one who had not had a cigarette for a long time.

Anyway apologies if the above was rambling but thought it might offer some suggestions!

I've seen several family members succumb to the evils of substance abuse -- both alcohol and cigarettes. I recently lost a cousin (mid-50's) who abused alcohol for most of his life. My most poignant memory of him was when he got completely trashed at my mom's funeral. His father was also an alcoholic and suffered from heart and liver issues later in life. Both of them also hurt those they loved many times due to their dependence on alcohol.

I truly hope you are successful with giving up alcohol. Addictions can be difficult to kick, but with the support of friends and family, things get a lot easier.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Good on you, Ken. I haven't had alcohol for some time, either. Never a heavy drinker, but now I'm told to avoid it due to flaring up Meniere's, so about the only drink I have anymore is a half a glass of champagne on New Year's Eve with the wife.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. The social aspect hasn't really been an issue, either, and I find I can enjoy myself around others who drink alcohol without doing so myself. I also enjoy the fact that I keep my faculties about me when others are not doing so. A cool head in situations like that is a bonus.

This is a great step forward. In no time at all you'll find that you don't miss it, and better yet, that you don't need it to have a good time with others.

you're doing a great thing for yourself Ken.

I myself had an issue with Alcohol; and quit drinking many years ago. Although I do rarely drink nowadays, but I have strict rules surrounding me touching the stuff and how much.