• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does flexibility cause loss of power?

btroadman

In a discussion recently with a few Martial Art instructors a topic arose about how the more flexible you are the less power your kicks will have. Has anyone else heard of this? Any extra thoughts on the subject?

BJJ - Blue Belt

TaeKwonDo - Brown Belt

Krav Maga

Kickboxing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you are naturally flexible, it's generally because you don't have a lot of muscle to constrict movement. With proper training though, you should be able to have the best of both worlds: flexibility and strength.

I'll move this to the Health, Training and Fitness forum, where people more educated on these matters than myself can help you :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I was actually curious to know what fellow TKD members had to say on the subject, that's why I put it in that category.

BJJ - Blue Belt

TaeKwonDo - Brown Belt

Krav Maga

Kickboxing

I honestly think you need to have both, but it has to be balanced. It does you no good to throw a roundhouse to the temple if there is no power. Yet it's not going to be all that great to throw the same kick with all the power in the world if the only place you can hit is in the arm or leg.

I think that anyone who is working on their flexibility should also work on weight training. If you stretch out the muscles to much then you are compromising the strength of the joints.

Nyteshades

I think there's some evidence that static stretching (where you hold the stretch for so many seconds) reduces power in your kicks for a time afterwards (maybe a couple hours I think). But in the long term, more flexible muscles allow your limbs to move faster, and that means more power.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

I think there's some evidence that static stretching (where you hold the stretch for so many seconds) reduces power in your kicks for a time afterwards (maybe a couple hours I think). But in the long term, more flexible muscles allow your limbs to move faster, and that means more power.
I have power in my Flexibility, There is a difference, Only way to get powerful kicks is not in flexibility but in kicking and kicking and more kicking.

Learn and u shall Teach

Teach and you shall learn,

https://www.southpacifictkd.com.au

Think of it like this. If you think that flexiblity loses power then you are assuming that lack of flexibility increases power. Not true. You can be flexible and still have power. I think where you might have a point may be where you throw a really high kick requiring more flexibility as opposed to a range that requires less flexiblity. Generally kicks that require greater flexibility, like in the 5-6 foot range, are harder to master and generate power than say a kick belt level.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.