• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

question about flexiblity

Angelus

When I first started training I was naturally flexible...also naturally muscle-less. As I've grown older and the intensity of my training has increased, I've had to start working harder to keep my flexibility by stretching at home.

An important thing to remember about stretching:

It's good to stretch every day, BUT NOT INTENSIVELY!! Limit your heavy stretching to 3 times a week, and spread those times out over the week (i.e. Monday Tuesday Wednesday = Bad, Monday Wednesday Friday = Good ;) ). The other days of the week should be simple, light stretching...no "progress" should be made as far as pushing yourself further into a split, unless it just comes naturally without any pain. Even then, I'd suggest backing off just a little from your furthest stretch to give the muscles a chance to recuperate.

If your MA classes (3 times a week) are stretching intensively (for 30 mins or more), then you can count that as your 3 times a week.

Ideally, I like to stretch every morning when I'm already nice and relaxed. It doesn't always happen though ;)

Sometimes I'll stretch before bed, too.

This thread provides quite a few links to other stretching threads

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6186

You should be able to find some useful information there.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Stretching requires three things. Time, Temperature, and Tension. Warm up a bit before stretching, Tension should be a bit uncomfortable, not painful, and should be held for a sufficient time. 15- 30 seconds per stretch, then shake it out. Repeat if necc.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

• 2 weeks later...
If some of you are looking for some great stretching exercises,i would strongly suggest some of Bill"Superfoot"Wallace's books on stretching and kicking.I was really honored when i had the honor of meeting Bill Wallace at our Dojo when he came down for a clinic,and he put us through some very effective stretching exercises.So with that in mind guys and gals..if you wanna get better at stretching..you might wanna look through some of his books or videos,and send me a reply telling me if it helped.Remember..the books or videos can show you what you need to do..its upto you to work hard on stretching if you really wanna improve.

3rd Kyu Brown Belt

To learn more about Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei,goto http://www.kiyojuteryu.org/

I been stretching for 5 months. im only 3 inches from full side splits.

My hint to anyone stretching is to make sure the stretching exercise that you are doing are for stretching nothing worse than doing a exercise that does you no good.

Look foward to stretching.

I stretch 3 times a day 2 x dymanic stretches and my Isometric stretches i do 4 times a week after my strength training.

enjoy the training and your gains will be amazing.

Learn and u shall Teach

Teach and you shall learn,

https://www.southpacifictkd.com.au

Tom Kurz is definately the expert. :D

I stretch every day. I find that I'm doing maintenace stretching at this point. If I go two or three days without stretching, I notice small decreases in the ease of flexibility.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• 1 month later...
I will tell ya. I wonder if I will ever get the splits. Maybe my body will not allow me to do them. I am very much in shape but to date cannot do the splits. I can stretch to 160 degrees on my stretcher but that is pushing it. I stretch during class 3 or 4 times @ week. I feel bad to be a black belt and not able to do the splits. Anyone know the answer???? :karate: