• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hints , Tips, for perfecting the Perfect Side Kick

We will use a chair and work the kick in 3 stages.

One knee up

Two kick out

Three pull the kick back

We hold each step for a few seconds. With time you can hold it longer.

Also you just do it over and over and over. Hitting a bag is as good of a way as any to build power and know your hitting something solid.

yeah, breaking up kicks into steps is a great way to teach beginneers. I have a technical question. When you bring you knee up, is your leg parallel with your body or perpendicular?? (in other words, is your kicking leg pointing to the ground or chambered pointing towards your target.) I just have seen it done both ways.

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
My leg is chambered towards the target. I try to imitate Bill Wallace as much as I can, with limited flexibilty of course. He has one of the best side kicks ever.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

In my class your lower leg will be nearly perpendicular to the ground upon raising it upwards. It will then change when rolling your hips over. It's all supposed to be one continuous motion from the time you lift your foot til the time you set it back down and it takes a while to perfect the timing. Start with low targets and develop the technique before trying to kick out the ceiling lights.

Additionally, if your toes point down when you hit your target you are rolling your hips over too far. Toes pointing up means not rolling hips over enough.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Good replies, all. I'll just add one thing. A few years ago a TKD instructor gave me a pointer. He said that a side kick should deliver and withdraw as if you were kicking straight down a tube to the target. I've found this to be good advice. I'm a trapper, and when sparing partners let a sidekick drop, even a little bit, I feel it and the trap is automatic. But a kick that is returned on the exact path it was deployed is hard to get. If I don't feel it there, I don't even try. A good drill to develope this technique is to extend a side kick to your partners mid section and hold it. Allow him to try to trap it. When he moves, try to pull your foot straight back without any drop. It will make a believer out of both of you, as well as making you a better kicker.

Freedom isn't free!

If you are a beginner, I wouldn't suggest doing a side kick slowly because thats really tough to do and for a beginner that can be discouraging. However, do it in steps like Champ suggested. A good side is in your chamber and hip twist on contact.

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.