• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Laws surrounding Banned or Prohibited Weapons

Out of curiousity, what does your country list (outside of Gun Laws) as a Prohibited Weapon? 

I attached what my state of Victoria has in its Prohibited List. Which lists a lot of Martial Arts Weapons, Knives/Blades and a few other items. 

So legally own these, we have to apply for a special permit and list how we will store this and what purpose for us acquiring them are. 

So Sai for instance; we would indicate that we are using them for Kobudo purposes. 

My intentions are when/if I can run a full time location with Karate AND Kobudo, I would have a secure location storing them and only permitted people to access them for class. 

Prohibited-Weapons-Guide_APR-2015.pdf

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For the US, it depends on which state you are in. Prohibited weapons are a state issue, usually. In Texas, there are no banned weapons that relate to kobudo. Anything from Sai to Tekko are completely legal to carry around.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

1 hour ago, Zaine said:

For the US, it depends on which state you are in. Prohibited weapons are a state issue, usually. In Texas, there are no banned weapons that relate to kobudo. Anything from Sai to Tekko are completely legal to carry around.

While legal to carry said MA weapon around, I wonder how many LEO's still might stop someone and have a discussion with that individual, in any US state. Just wondering!! 

The nunchaku is only banned in one US state: Massachusetts; Personal usage banned. It can be used for martial arts training in some circumstances.

I'm pretty sure that no matter the MA weapon, if said MA weapon is brought on school property, that action would be illegal in any US state.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

In Colorado, the use or possession of nunchaku and throwing stars are specifically banned in public places unless being used in a public demonstration or a class.  And they must be stored in an "unaccessible" container.  Now to my knowledge, I've never known someone to be prosecuted over this law, but it is on the books.  Now I do know that my CI and his wife were once traveling to Okinawa with a layover in Canada.  Their bags went through security screening, and the authorities siezed and destroyed their brand new set of purpleheart nunchaku.  Even though they were only in Canada for a layover.

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Matayoshi Kobudo 2024-Present - Kukyu