• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training Camps and Student Promotions

Out of curiousity; for those whose students are permitted to attending training camps ran by other clubs. What is your policy on allowing other instructors (if your not there) on promoting your students if they participate in a grading that is run at the camp?

So for context; one of the major clubs that is run here in Melbourne had run a camp every year up until COVID struck. So typically every year, they ran a grading on the Saturday afternoon/evening for the Dan Grades (and for those wanting to be promoted to Black Belt). Obviously you had to put your hand up to be considered for promotion, and be eligible.

Now that camp had instructors from the 4 major styles, and instructors from other styles there too. So good chances that you would have an instructor or two who understood your style. 

What are your opinions on the idea; Camps and Student Promotions? and how would you feel as the Chief Instructor if your students attended and subsequently promoted without your knowledge? 

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Camps and Student Promotions?

I've no problem whatsoever of any of my students attending any Camps. That's their prerogative to do so; what they do on their own time is their own business. Promotions, a.k.a., a full-blown Testing Cycle?? Is the Testing Cycle for rank in one of the 4 major styles?? Perhaps I might be ok with that...maybe.

and how would you feel as the Chief Instructor if your students attended and subsequently promoted without your knowledge?

Is the rank for Shindokan?? Without my being present?? Without my approval?? NO!! It'd be an invalid Testing Cycle.

Without my knowledge?? In one of the 4 majors?? I'd only know if the student informed me directly. If not, I'd be fine because there's nothing to be upset or whatever about. That's the beauty of impunity. 

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think it depends. If my student went out and got a Dan rank with another school, I would consider them to have a Dan rank with that school. When they came to my school, I would expect them to wear the rank that they earned under me. I would respect their decision to test, and that they have a rank in another school. They would just need to earn the same rank with me to wear it in my school. Full disclosure, I have my Nidan from the INKKS, and certainly didn't have any communication with my original sensei about it. There's a lot of complication behind that, but even if we were still communicating, I wouldn't mind if he still views me as a Shodan. Similarly, with my current dojo, they know that I am a Nidan, but I wear a Sankyu when I am at that school because that is the rank that I achieved with them. 

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/