• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kiai Differences

Zaine

I’m in agreement with the short, sharp kiai. I think the longer kiai are usually performative, which is fine for a tournament or a demo, but it can really descend into parody.

My dojo had students say “Hai” when they kiai. I’ve drifted from that, but still find the “h” sound is easier to get from the gut than the “k” sound. Anyone else feel that? Or maybe there's some other letter/sound I should try out...

On 9/10/2024 at 3:07 AM, Nidan Melbourne said:

At the same time it doesn't necessarily have to be a "shout" but more talking louder. So if I was to draw attention a situation or make something clearly known i'd be saying "Stop" with an increased volume but also being firm. Which draws attention your way. 

I'll echo this thought too. Kiai helped me get comfortable with being LOUD, which is an important self-defense skill as much as anything else we train. For that reason alone I like using and teaching them, especially when a lot of people (children especially) are often taught to be quiet or that being loud is improper. Sometimes you have to make noise! I think in this instance the short, sharp kiai is probably better than a drawn out one because it's more like shouting. For example - shouting GET BACK or HELP ME are kind of like kiais. 

“Studying karate nowadays is like walking in the dark without a lantern.” Chojun Miyagi (attributed)

https://www.lanterndojo.com/

https://karatenobody.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
On 9/11/2024 at 2:49 PM, ryanryu said:

My dojo had students say “Hai” when they kiai. I’ve drifted from that, but still find the “h” sound is easier to get from the gut than the “k” sound. Anyone else feel that? Or maybe there's some other letter/sound I should try out...

I tend to use a hard long I sound.  It tends to come out like "aye-ya!"  One thing I can't stand is when people actually say "Kiai!" or "Kihap!" when they yell.  Seems to work well, but maybe I should look into the "H" sounds you mention.  Years ago, my dad something that sounded like "ooh-ie!" or something like that.  When I do it myself, I see why.

On 9/11/2024 at 2:49 PM, ryanryu said:

I'll echo this thought too. Kiai helped me get comfortable with being LOUD, which is an important self-defense skill as much as anything else we train. For that reason alone I like using and teaching them, especially when a lot of people (children especially) are often taught to be quiet or that being loud is improper. Sometimes you have to make noise! I think in this instance the short, sharp kiai is probably better than a drawn out one because it's more like shouting. For example - shouting GET BACK or HELP ME are kind of like kiais. 

We are big on this with out women's self-defense seminars, for a couple of reasons.  One, being loud draws attention, which bad guys don't want.  And two, if you're talking, you're breathing.