• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lifting Weights

I often wonder how accurate the "calories burned" readouts on watches and treadmills actually is.  I figure they must have conjured up an average somehow, but still, I wonder...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
1 hour ago, bushido_man96 said:

I often wonder how accurate the "calories burned" readouts on watches and treadmills actually is.  I figure they must have conjured up an average somehow, but still, I wonder...

Same.  According to my monitor I burned 700 calories in an hour workout on Thursday, but I have no idea if that is accurate, or how accurate it is about heart rate itself.  I was not started yet and was already at 93 heart rate, which does not make sense

On 9/12/2024 at 7:30 AM, KarateKen said:

It is coming along.  I am starting to feel like it has become part of my routine, which is good.  I began wearing a heart rate monitor during my workouts this week to track my heart rate and calories burned.  I'm also drinking a protein shake after every workout. 

Glad to hear it is going well :) calories burned is an interesting one: are you tracking it to gain / lose weight? If so then often a scale is more useful tbh as calories burned etc. need judged in conjunction with intake of calories, expenditure from other activities / existing and your general metabolism. Tracking scale gain/loss over time at the same time every day might be more reliable, or a lot of people just use a mirror test / pictures. Plusses and minuses to most approaches tbh

Tracking a simple thing like waist measurements, thigh measurements, etc, can also be helpful.  If you're pants are getting looser and you are having to pull your belt tighter, it's a good sign.  Weight loss might not be the goal, but body recomposition could be.

On 9/13/2024 at 3:02 AM, DarthPenguin said:

Glad to hear it is going well :) calories burned is an interesting one: are you tracking it to gain / lose weight? If so then often a scale is more useful tbh as calories burned etc. need judged in conjunction with intake of calories, expenditure from other activities / existing and your general metabolism. Tracking scale gain/loss over time at the same time every day might be more reliable, or a lot of people just use a mirror test / pictures. Plusses and minuses to most approaches tbh

I really should check the scale, I have not done that yet.  

The classes can be a bit chaotic.  It seems like at times there is not a lot of planning, they just wing it and throw things together as it goes along.  Better organization would be nice.  It is not always like that, but it can be. 

On 9/16/2024 at 9:35 AM, KarateKen said:

I really should check the scale, I have not done that yet.  

The classes can be a bit chaotic.  It seems like at times there is not a lot of planning, they just wing it and throw things together as it goes along.  Better organization would be nice.  It is not always like that, but it can be. 

Sometimes a bit of variety can be good :) pick some metrics that you can use to evaluate how the training is going and then give it a little time and see how you are doing against them. For me main one i use is a calculated 1RM and as long as that is tracking upwards for the lifts i am bothered about then things are on track. I also use performance when training too but that one is harder to quantify objectively!