• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Coaching Accreditation in your Country

Out of Curiosity; what does your country have in relation to Coaching Accreditation and your Martial Art of Choice?

For Instance; Karate Australia (Formerly Australian Karate Federation); has

- Bronze, Silver & Gold

Bronze is essentially your local coach/instructor, Silver is your State Level Coach and Gold is your National/International Level Coach.

Each has their own requirements in terms of what you have to get to get it.

One of the biggest factors seperating Bronze and Gold is the knowledge required for Sports Psychology and Physiology. Along with appropriate Training Planning for maximum gains.

Now I know a lot of people might not be part of a WKF affiliated National Federation. So if that is the case, what does your club or a Federation have in terms of coaching?

*edit: not mandatory to have, but worthwhile

Edited by Nidan Melbourne

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The US as a rule doesn't accredit martial arts instructors. It is up to each style and/or organization to supply the accreditations. Technically if I wanted to open my own martial arts school, I'm welcome to do so.

Now as far as my style, organization, and dojo goes: My dojo has 3 levels of apprentice instructor. An assistant instructor level 1 needs to be a (full) black belt with a certain number of teaching hours. As a level 1 instructor, I can run classes with supervision and sit on kyu testing boards. Since I am also a nidan, I can sit on dan-grade testing boards, evaluating students for ranks up to shodan. The dojo also has a level 2 and level 3 assistant instructor certification. Each certification gives you a bit more autonomy on how you run classes. At level 2, I think you are able to run classes at satellite schools. Once you earn a level 3 dojo certification, you are usually a sandan.

Once you are a sandan with a level 3 dojo certification, you can be referred to our organization for a shidoin license, which allows you to open your own dojo in the organization, but you are still required to be nominally supervised by a master instructor (shihan). At godan you can also apply for a shihan's license, which allows you to teach independenty without supervision.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

• 3 weeks later...

At the national level there is nothing specific to martial arts as far as accredited coaching/teaching qualifications. It isn’t even mandatory and virtually anyone can do it. However, there are several recognized training programmes for people who want a career in P.E or professional coaching/sports

Besides that anyone who might potentially work with minors(under 20) can reasonably expect to be asked for : a police record check, proof of basic first aid training. Those two things seem to matter more to the average person than actual knowledge and the skill level teach.

• 2 weeks later...

I recognise the AFK provides sports coaching accreditation, but Australia has a variety of ways to get accredited as a coach, but the word "accredited" is the difficult bit.

The AFTK, a body for traditional karate and kobudo, also provides a certification process recognised by various bodies throughout Australia: https://aftk.org.au/membership/certification/

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

America...none

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I recognise the AFK provides sports coaching accreditation, but Australia has a variety of ways to get accredited as a coach, but the word "accredited" is the difficult bit.

The AFTK, a body for traditional karate and kobudo, also provides a certification process recognised by various bodies throughout Australia: https://aftk.org.au/membership/certification/

OMG How did I forget the AFTK!!! another excellent group