• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Haisai, everyone!

On Monday, my friends and fellow INKKS co-founding members stopped by for a visit on their way home from this past weekend's seminar event, and presented me with not only a back-dated Sandan certificate for when I should have originally tested (that test was canceled on me just 3 weeks prior to the date for political reasons), but also a certificate for my promotion to Yondan, and a Renshi title, which came as a complete surprise!

After my Sandan test was canceled, with both my Sensei and the dojo's Shihan having passed away, I actually figured I would just stay a Nidan forever. After pressure from several friends in the martial arts community, I eventually reached out to Iain Abernethy, and developed a grading syllabus for my Sandan, although schedules, life events, and health issues meant we never went through the evaluation process. Last summer, Nathan Ogden, Shihan, offered to evaluate me for my Sandan, and I finally agreed in the fall. It was after that evaluation that he said he was grading me to Yondan, as I was due my Sandan in 2019, making me eligible for Yondan in 2023, and he felt that my knowledge and skill were at that level. It was a complete shock, and still feels surreal. Being given a Shogo title, on top of that, was even more of a shock. I'm honored, but it feels strange to be just one dan grade below my late Sensei, and with the same title. I'll be doing all I can to live up to that.

Sandan_Certificate_INKKS.jpg?w=960&ssl=1

Yondan_Certificate_INKKS.jpg?w=960&ssl=1

Renshi_Certificate_INKKS.jpg?w=960&ssl=1

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats, Noah for the double promotions, Sandan and Yondan. Feels good, huh?

Having the Shogo title of Renshi bestowed to you is extremely special. I've always believed that earning ranks is one thing but having a Shogo title bestowed upon me is much more special because Shogo titles cannot be earned in the same way that ranks are. Ranks are earned via a Testing Cycle; however, Shogo titles are awarded from either owns very own Sensei and/or through ones Governing Body. All of my Shogo titles were bestowed upon me by my Sensei, which means more to me than any rank I ever earned.

I cherish my Shogo titles far more than any of my earned ranks. It meant to me that my Sensei saw something in me of value that I didn't see.

Again, congrats Noah for your double promotions and having your Renshi bestowed upon you; well deserved!!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

That is so awesome, Noah! Watching your youtube shorts with your late sensei, your syllabus is one I'd love to have some experience with, and you deserve those promotions! Well done! :karate:

Huge congrats Noah! I saw your post on social media about this already and wondered if you would post about it on here :) I keep tabs on videos that you post and agree that all of these awards are well deserved and your late sensei would be very proud!

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Congratulations on the unexpected double promotion, and huge props on the Shogo title!

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Thank you, everyone! It still feels surreal. Bob asked if I was going to start wearing a Renshi belt, but I don't think I will. For those who aren't familiar, there are a few different styles of Renshi belt. Goju Kai uses a half-red/half-white belt, which they've trademarked, so everyone else has a black backing on it to avoid legal issues. On Okinawa, more often than not, they just put one stripe on each end of the belt to denote Renshi, then two for Kyoshi, and three for Hanshi. Some styles will use a black and red panel belt for Renshi, as well. They're neat, but unless someone gifts me one, I'll probably just keep wearing plain black belts until they wear out.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome job! Congratulations!

Karate no michi! :karate:

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)