• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Larger Karate Jackets

Hi All,

As I have a weight issue, where I have a belly and does have a overhang.

Does anyone know of any brands that 1. Caters for Larger Practitioners and 2. is long in the body?

As looking at various places that are sold here in Australia is a Hit and Miss. But open to ordering from elsewhere.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd hate to suggest this, as it would be kind of expensive, but have you thought about ordering two uniforms, one bigger than the other to fit your body better, and mix in the bottoms from the smaller order?

I don't know of any company that will sell tops separate from bottoms. But somebody should consider doing that.

I'd hate to suggest this, as it would be kind of expensive, but have you thought about ordering two uniforms, one bigger than the other to fit your body better, and mix in the bottoms from the smaller order?

I don't know of any company that will sell tops separate from bottoms. But somebody should consider doing that.

I think Isami used to sell tops and bottoms separate. I had a quick look on th chokesports site and they still have them as separate options for some items. Hirota will also individually tailor a gi to your measurements if you provide them - won't be cheap but that is another option

Hi All,

As I have a weight issue, where I have a belly and does have a overhang.

Does anyone know of any brands that 1. Caters for Larger Practitioners and 2. is long in the body?

As looking at various places that are sold here in Australia is a Hit and Miss. But open to ordering from elsewhere.

I hate to tell you this but, unfortunately, when looking at the size chart, they'll typically have the height and weight listed. You'll have to go by the weight.

What sucks about this is the fact that the size you get was actually designed for someone taller than you, so the jacket will be too long. It will look and feel like a white lab coat on you.

The alternative, like someone else pointed out, is to get a custom made gi. Tokaido (Japan) makes them as well, but I personally prefer Hirota as was suggested earlier in this thread. But be ready to shell out some dough.

History:

Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, 2019 - 2023: Rokkyu

Shotokan, 2023 - Present: Yonkyu

Judo, 2023: Novice

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, 2023 - Present: White Belt

I've had students take two gi's to a tailor to make one to fit. They were done professionally and they were very affordable. Necessity is the mother of Invention, as the saying goes.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Sakura Martial Arts sells big and tall gis up to size 12-- that's where I got my last 2 gis from. You'll probably need to have it tailored after the fact, though, because a size 12 pants are REALLY long.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice