• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hiya!

Greetings all!

I guess you could say I’m an old timer (is 38 even considered old by today’s standards? Haha!) who’s been bitten by the karate bug. I am unfortunately limited to practicing in my home study due to an intellectual disability but I am trying to learn and study a few different kata on my own as best I can. Right now I am concentrating on Matsubayashi-ryu - following along with Shoshin Nagamine’s wonderful book and any old videos of his original students performances and bunkai I can find on YouTube. I really love the use of natural stances in this style and the elegant movements. I am also quite interested in the arts of Uechi-Ryu and Goju-Ryu.

My own history with karate is, I guess, a short one. I was signed up to a Ninjutsu center back in the late 90s, which I suppose is what you would call a Mcdojo? (I’m still a little confused on what exactly that is!) I was signed up for a trial session but because I had an undiagnosed health condition at the time I fell to the ground and blacked out for a few seconds by the end of class from all the rigorous exercise! How’s that for a first impression, eh? :lol: Anyway, even if it wasn’t true karate I had a lot of fun with the (very) little time I had there. I always regretted not being able to pursue any sort of martial arts because I truly do love it. Even if I can never exceed the rank of white belt or take a professional class, I hope I can share and participate in the wonderful discussion of martial arts with everyone.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post. It’s very nice to meet everybody!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum! and well done you for pursuing martial arts! good luck with your studies :)

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Welcome to the forum!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Welcome to the forum! I'm also a Uechi-Ryu practitioner, and if you're interested I can point you to some pretty good YouTube channels for learning Uechi Ryu. Good luck on your journey. Keep in mind that the only person you're competing with on this journey is yourself, so as long as whatever you do today is better than what you did yesterday, you're making progress.

Good luck!

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice