• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gingi Walla

Miick 11

means hello .

I just joined .

I started with Shotokan when a club ( 3 guys ) started using my high school gym . Not long after Australia received its first resident JKA BB instructor Frank Nowak . I traine with him for a few years . . . . old days , old school .

Next was Sikiran karate .... man those guys can KICK !

A bit of Silat in Perth. back to Sydney for Akikai Aikido , again, old school - great stuff !

Moved to the central area of Oz east coast ; no teachers . Started teaching a bit of SD and aikido , including at local school .

Discovered my small rural town had a 3rd dan teacher ( with a small number of students ) from ' Matsamura Seito Shorin Ryu ' an 'old traditional style ' ...been with him about 12 years . During that time an aikido teacher appeared so I was doing that at the same time for a few years ..... having t have a hip replacement (mid 60s now ) I had to drop aikido :( no more flying through the air across the gym and rolling anymore :( ..... oh well ) .

Oh yeah , I also do Kobudo , which came down from Hohan Soken via Ted Lange in Oz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohan_S%C5%8Dken

5 bo kata , numerous short jo kata , 1 'jo 20 ' kata (that I developed for our club ) , 2 eku kata, 3 'Soken Gama' , 3 ' Soken Sai' kata , numerous short bokken kata .

We practice mainly 1 - 5 Pinan , 1 - 3 Niharchin, Sanchin, 1 - 2 Passai , Rohai ( heron ) , Chinto, Gojushiho, Kusanku, Hakatsuru ( crane .... the form the whole style is based on ).

They are mostly old forms that dont exist today , so many are hardly recognizable techniques eg ; toe kick UP to hit the hat rim, ( traditional straw hat with under chin tie )

jerking the head back to expose the throat for a toe kick IN to the throat , grabbing and pulling out the top knot hair comb and striking back into the throat with it, etc .

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society