• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

push-up challenges

Push-ups are everywhere and are part of every training programme for fitness. They are a staple of every fitness and strength building workout and are one of the most common exercises around.

Lately there seems to be a renewed interest in the push-up. There are several trends online consisting of doing only push-ups for a maximum number of reps and sets every day for varying lengths of time. 50 or 100 push-ups/day for one month seems the most common.

Has anybody ever tried any of these push-up challenges? What has been your experience with them?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Done various ones. Such as 25 for 25 days. Most are about discipline and commitment as the challenge itself is not that difficult, sticking to it is.

We do push ups in class but with a focus on explosiveness. Slow down then fast up - ideally clapping. That same explosiveness is what you want when you punch. One of the ones I've been making everyone do lately is 5 explosive push ups every 30 seconds. Every time the timer goes off you do the 5 with as good form as possible. Usually for 20 rounds or 25 rounds. Really works your arms properly as I find with the bigger rep challenges like 25 or 50 push ups, people cheat on the form.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I did one through the lockdown, got to 55 solid ones, slipped back a bit now to 50, but arms pumped out after that.......prefer to do double the amount in reps throughout the session

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford