• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When Instructors train in class

In many of our dojos, we will have instructors that will have the night off and train in your standard class.

As such what do you (regardless of seniority), call them in front of students? For instance you have a 3rd Dan (at my club you are awarded the title of Sensei) coming to train in a Seniors Class which is open to all grades.

What would you call them in class in front of other students?

I ask because a student of mine asked, and it was something that I hadn't thought of in a long time.

Now when I train in such classes, the instructors will generally call me either as Liam or Sempai. depending on who it is and in what context they are addressing me in front of others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rank is rank, up or down, if you train in a system that uses rank to address, then rank it is, irrespective of who is taking the class.

Now, in what order is the "greet" done, if a senior is in the class and not taking it!

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

For students in a mixed training session, the general rules of thumb:

1. Is that senior the primary or secondary instructor to you in any other context: If yes, Sensei.

2. Are they simply a senior to you with no other connection: Sempai.

3. Are they assisting in teaching: Sensei.

If your system has sensei awarded as a title at Sandan, then the title remains sensei regardless. As one would use Shihan or Kyoshi if those have been awarded.

R. Keith Williams

With us, for the most part, accordingly to the topic here, we'll address them by their last name, Mr/Mrs Smith, for example. Rank is rank!! Rank isn't any given title, earned and/or bestowed. Therefore, no one is ever addressed by the given title, i.e., Hanshi Smith, or during the days of our Hombu, no one ever addressed me as Kaicho Mitcham while on the floor; only during formal ceremonies.

For us, Godan is when Sensei is given, but never expected!!

In my dojo, any visiting Sensei or above is addressed accordingly by Mr/Mrs with their last name, or Sir/Ma'am. Only In-House assistant instructors are addressed by Sempai with their last name, including any of my Godan and above students. However, if said Godan and above is running said class, then Sensei is proper.

I run a very informal floor in my dojo. My dojo is so informal that I prefer to be addressed by my first name, Bob. I'll speak to any visiting Godan and above in order that I can explain to them how I run my floor. Yes, they raise their eyebrows when they first here one of my students address me by my first name. I suppose they raise their eyebrows because it's not something that they're use to.

I mean, shoot, whenever my Soke and/or Dai-Soke visited my dojo they were not pleased with my informality in my dojo, especially while on the floor. Nonetheless, they warmed up to it, even though they hated it, because it was my dojo, and not theirs to question how I run my dojo.

My Student Body is well aware of how any visiting Godan and above, and any Seniors are to be addressed, and there's no ambiguity in the regards whatsoever.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Okinawan styles in general tend to have a very informal dojo atmosphere, especially if the head instructor is Okinawan. Even when the dojo is run a instructor of a different background. The rest is left up to the personal vision of whoever is in charge. Personally, the simpler the better. Sensei is called sensei and everyone else whatever they are most comfortable with.