• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there room for self expression in Karate?

rhilllakefield

Like Wastelander has said that it comes with the territory that you will follow the Shuhari Principles.

For me as a beginner you should follow the process of learning the techniques, kata etc and allow it to become natural.

After I was promoted to Shodan-Ho, I didn't feel like anything was natural in itself. Only when I got promoted to Shodan, where I realised that what I was doing was natural and that I could relax.

Which seems that the expression of my karate changed and improved. But when it comes to teaching, I do verbalise to my students that there is always going to be a difference in how everyone does it due to their own physical, psychological and spiritual progress.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Like Wastelander has said that it comes with the territory that you will follow the Shuhari Principles.

I agree. Shu Ha Ri principle is everything, and always evolving throughout one MA journey.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

I agree there is certainly a lot of room for self-expression in karate. In our dojo, our CI generally has at least three variations of a kata. The first version is the super-strong version where you very clearly enunciate each of your techniques. The second version is the "kung fu-ey" way where you try to get one technique to flow straight into one another. The third variant is a combination of the two, where you find your own expression, incorporating parts of the super-strong version and kung fu-ey version.

For example, if you go on youtube and watch several different advanced practitioners perform the same kata, you'll see different interpretations in speed, power, and flow.

I'm just now getting to this point in my training - as I'm learning Seichin (required for 3rd kyu), as I start to show proficiency with some of the sequences he says "Okay, now that you are understanding the super-strong version, why don't you try this version (shows me the kung fu-ey version). I've tried doing some of the more flowing versions of my katas, but I have a lot more training ahead of me before I get proficient with those.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Hi folks, its been a while since Ive posted!

Just curious about everyones thoughts on this. Is there room for self expression in Karate, or most of the Japanese arts?

I've trained in three styles of Karate for ten years periodically and have begun to feel a bit boxed in.

Ive had some time off, and am looking at training again.

I have to admit, some of the other styles appeal to me. I've been studying archery as well and have found similar mental discipline, but with less focus on, the one right way, as taught in a lot of Japanese arts.

Another perfect example is a boxers parry vs a Soto use.....similar defence, but is something like the parry a technique that's excepted as true Karate?

I've always loved Karate, but feel a bit boxed in.

Any thoughts?

Ryan

I believe there’s definitely room for karate to become your own. I think that’s the point. Of course in the beginning you learn everything but over time you gravitate towards certain techniques, bunkai, strikes that fit with your body style. Over time the karate becomes your own within the framework and principles of your chosen art.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Many dojos encourage black belts to start to develop their own kata. I have one of my own which concentrates on my own weaknesses, mainly round and side kicks, with a few trickier combination techniques thrown in for punctuation. It makes you think about how karate has become "yours" and is a great creative outlet.

Self-expression in karate is usually not expected or encouraged for until after a student has thoroughly learned the basic movements and principles contained in the kata.

second and fifth dan, it is usually expected that one has the depth of understanding of basic principles required to expand on these and develop a wider range of techniques than the first application originally learned.