• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Returning to Training

Kanku65

Hello KF! It has been a long time.

I’ve missed you all and am so happy to return.

So, in 2015, after 13 years total training I achieved the rank of shodan in Shotokan Karate.

Sometime in 2016, I left the dojo because I had to put all my time and effort into my career and university degree.

Now I am 3/4 done my degree and things have slowed down and I want to return to the dojo I trained at. But, looking through Facebook/Instagram posts I see that so many of the junior students (when I left) are now 1st kyu/shodan.

I really cannot express how proud of them I am.

My technique is terrible though, but I remember all 14 of the katas I had trained in.

My question is:

Is it appropriate for me to turn up at my dojo unannounced wearing black belt, or should I contact the dojo’s CI prior to training and ask if I can return with my achieved rank?

Thanks in advance.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would contact the CI, just as a courtesy and so there are no surprises.

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

I would contact the CI, just as a courtesy and so there are no surprises.

I wholeheartedly agree with Fat Cobra.

It's the integrity thing to do, and it shows the CI that your main drive is knowledge and experience, and not rank. Whatever rank he assigns to you after his evaluation, accept it and work on getting rid of any rust.

Good luck, train hard, and train well!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I agree with the others -- definitely contact the CI and find out how he wants to proceed.

At our school this happens a fair bit. Students get dragged in different directions, and when life calms down, they decide that they want to resume their training. This happens often enough that our CI has a formal way of handling it, depending on how long you've been gone and what rank you were when you left.

Good luck on returning to your training! You'll find that muscle memory WILL be your friend, so it won't take nearly as long to re-learn techniques as it took to learn them the first time.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

I agree as well. Try to set up a time to speak with the instructor to find out how he/she wants you to return to class. The instructor may wish for you to show some degree of proficiency in order to return to your black belt rank. Different schools have different policies on these things, and best to feel it out before assuming anything.

It's great to see you back! :karate:

Thank you all for you replies!

WOW. A whole lot has gone on in the world since I made the OP in this thread.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the dojo (and basically everything else where I live besides grocery stores) will be closed all March and likely into April and May as well. Nobody can know for sure at this point.

In the meantime I plan to self train at home. Mostly stretching, stances, and kata. (I’m gonna have a lot of spare time)

So, if anybody has any karate self training tips, that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Best of circumstances, luck, and health to all.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

I usually do the following parts when doing a longer solo training:

1. Strength (includes warm-up/stretching)

2. Kihon, usually slow-walkthrough-full speed

3. Kata, at least the latest requirements for next rank. Last session of the week I preferably add all the kata I’ve learned so far

4. Bunkai (against an imaginary partner)

As my daily routine I do at least:

2. (blocks low-mid-high, block-lead-hammerfist drill, punch high-mid-low and kicks (mae, mawashi yoko geri x2) and

3. Go ho no uke (perfect for very limited space) of the above

I’ve also started putting together this YT-playlist of ”follow-along solo practice”, maybe you can find something useful there:

Best of luck with your training! :karate:

The path so far: 2 kyu Karate (Shito-ryu), 3 kyu Aikido (Aikikai), 5 kyu Judo, 9 kyu Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

Not a day without a kata

Speak to the CI about it and what they would like you to do. if they get you to wear a white belt, that they will either get you to go through the same ranks again or will just grade you to whatever was appropriate.

When I took a couple of years off due to my knee, the CI I contacted was ok with me wearing my black belt until i got up to speed with the curriculum.