• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Splits between two chairs

kchenault

Can you do any kind of splits between two chairs?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Can you do any kind of splits between two chairs?

• I can do it!
    • I can't....sob.
    • I'M WORKING ON IT!
    • OUCH! Who would want to?

Just my thoughts on the subject. The more flexible you are, the less work goes into throwing the kick. High degrees of flexibility contribute to increased speed, which in turn generates more power. Hence the reason I am training for increased flexibility and goin' for that split.

Flexibility can also increase ones balance because you are not fighting body mechanics to achieve kicking height. It also increases plastic flexibility for kicking cold.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kchenault, while what you said is true, you're going for the wrong kind of flexibility.

You need dynamic flexibility for kicks, baby! Isometric stretching carries over to your dynamic flexibility a little bit, but even when you do the splits, it doesn't mean you can kick head height, let alone with ease! I could do the front splits, could kick head height as well (but, not without a warm up, one of the benefits of dynamic stretches). Couldn't do a roundhouse or side kick to head height though and I was really close to the ground in the box splits, maybe about 5cm away.

I made the biggest gains in the box split by getting a bag on either side and having people move the bags out from underneath me slowly.. The more flexible you get, the more bags you stack up.

Freestyler, it seems we have read or seen the same tape by Thomas Kurz. However, an article I recently read on stretching in Martial Arts Presents...Workouts, the three types of stretching, static, dynamic, and PNF should be used in a stair step process to build upon one another. I totaly agree that dynamic is best for developing "cold" kicking flexibility, however, you should not develop dynamic routines until you have accomplished some success in the static arena. I would type the article here, but that would be plagerizing someone elses work. I recommend everyone to find this article and read it. I have been showing great improvement in my kicks and stretching using static stretches.

Dynamic and PNF stretching are for people, such as ourselves, with a pre-existing level of physical fitness. These last two styles hold the best benefits, but for maximum flexibility, one should use them all for a flexibility training matrix. And you should never stretch cold. Always do some light cardio first.

I hope I have cleared up my position on stretching. Look for the magazine with Billy Blanks on the cover. Tons of great training and workout techniques!

Pilsung!

Maybe this thread should be moved to the General Forum for arguments sake. I never intended this to be a training tips thread. Sorry. I just wasn't sure where to put it.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• 4 weeks later...
I can do the american splits on chairs but i still cant do the chinese any way. Yet, I am very close so wish me luck. By the way the splits are very important if you want to kick high with power. But you have got to remember to srengthen your legs also or the splits will be in vain. Also the more limber you are the less you stretch before sparring or such.