• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Splits between two chairs

kchenault

Can you do any kind of splits between two chairs?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Can you do any kind of splits between two chairs?

• I can do it!
    • I can't....sob.
    • I'M WORKING ON IT!
    • OUCH! Who would want to?

Now, I can't do this...yet, but let's get a show of hands on who in our wonderful group who can.

Most people who have used Thomas Kurz stuff to achieve the side splits should be showing up...

Pilsung! 8)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can do it, don't like PNF stretching due to the strain it puts against the knee joint. The only time i do PNF is using a leg stretcher or pushing against a partner where my knees can be supported.

It sounds silly now but if you do these stretches regularly you are going to stretch your ligaments and loosen your knee joints, then your just asking for an injury.

Look after your knees!! Don't mean to go on about it, you can get away with doing 'dangerous' stretches but in the long run it's not good.

Bretty

I use a leg stretcher as well. I have Stadion's video on secrets of stretching by Thomas Kurz. The program involves strengthening exercises so your muscles are supporting you and not just your joints, as you put it. You have to be in shape to do this. Van Damme used to do it at least once in every movie he made. Didn't seem to hurt him a bit. My 2cents. 8)

Thanks for the reply Bretty101. I appreciate it!

Ken Chenault

What kchenault is referring to are suspended splits. When you acheieve the ability to lift yourself off the floor while sitting in a split you are proving that you have enough strength to do a suspended split.

You really shouldn't start off learning this skill with chairs. Try beginning with two books and then maybe yoga blocks/exercise steppers. At least you will be able to use your hands for support.

Eventually you can try placing chairs together, doing a handstand between them, and then lowering your legs onto the chairs.

They really serve no real application for martial arts other than to strengthen the legs and there are better and safer ways to achieve this goal.

The suspended split with toes pointing forward stresses abductors.... with toes pointed upward --- stresses your hamstrings and you will find you can't do these if you don't have good outside rotation of your hip joints.

Ok, I wasn't trying to say this was a proper way to train. I was merely expressing an interest in finding out who was capable of doing it. I was hoping for some replies from people on how they achieved it and so on. I remember this ability becoming very popular in the late 80's after JCVD came on the scene. That is what peaked my interest. That's all. :)

Ken Chenault

:) Oh I know!

.... I just had visions of people trying to do this without prior conditioning so I thought I just might mention how to work up to doing a suspended split.

People just hate it when I do a regular front split :D . I don't want to be despised (although there are those out there!) :wink:

so (shhhhh) Yes I can ... on a good day! :wink:

Yeah, I can do it. Listen to what KickChick said. Theres some good pointers in there. Until you've done the suspended splits for a while and can do them comfortably, make sure you stretch well before you try it. I would still recommend stretching even after you can do them easily. Always make sure that you concentrate while you do it and dont relax your legs. I lost my concentration once while doing this, and even though it was only a split second, my legs went way too far, and *POP!* I pulled a hamstring. That sucked... a lot.

:o :o :o OUCH!!!!

:

I never could do it.

I still cant do it.

I still can kick to the head without difficulty.

I read the Kurtz book its quite good. I use his stretches for warm up and downs. Ive gotten closer to a split than ever but I was able to kick to the head before I started.

How important are splits really??? Kickchick?? Just wondering, I never felt it was a big deal in reguards to my training.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.