• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Attacking Or Obscuring The Opponent's Vision

One of the first techniques learned in karate was (rush forward) to obscure the opponent's vision with a palm strike with the left hand (covering the eyes) and use a reverse punch with the right.

While in Wing Chun (in emergency response situations) the finger jab to the eyes can end a fight quicker than anything else.

Meanwhile in boxing, to obstruct the opponent's vision between the gloves is very effective (with glove or forearm) as losing sight at what is coming up or over the top and around the corner makes for a good opportunities for landing punches in bunches.

Do you make good of use of obscuring or attacking the opponent's vision with your techniques?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It can definitely be useful, I think, although it can be tough at times, too. Palming the face, especially covering the eyes briefly to deliver a blow elsewhere, can help in gaining an advantage. It might be something that can be pulled off in a self-defense scenario from the fence position with the lead hand, and is worth experimenting with in training. I don't think it should be a tactic of primary focus, because there are so many things to consider, but it could be useful.

Speaking from an Okinawan karate perspective, targeting eyes/face to open for strikes in a different area is a common strategy found in many kata. Very often it is a setup to destabilize and then following with a take-down, a low strike or throw. The Passai and Pinan kata come to mind. It is important to keep in mind the principle that nothing is used in isolation, so that although a face/eye strike might not be successful, the technique immediately following it has a good chance of working.

Here is a worthwhile boxing example of Obscuring the opponent's vision, that also is applicable to other styles of combat.

What is your opinion about this video clip attached below?

Can you adapt this concept of Obscuring to your own existing fighting skills?

• 2 weeks later...

In uechi-ryu, we definitely take advantage of that. In fact, one of our hojo undo techniques (shomen hajiki) involves snapping the fingertips at the opponent's eyes.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

I wear glasses and I'm sure if I were ever in a fight, the first thing that would happen is they'd get knocked off. I really should start training without them more to get used to it, but I'd probably hurt myself/someone else.