• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi everyone, new here

Mitlov

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, not new to martial arts. I did taekwondo in college a couple decades ago, and Shotokan for a few years after that. I've also spent probably around seven or eight years fencing (FIE-style epee), and dabbled in Yang taijiquan for a year or two while rehabbing my knee. After a significant hiatus due to work and parenthood and said knee injury, I got back into karate at the school my two boys were training at. It's a Chun Kuk Do school (Chuck Norris's offshoot of Tang Soo Do), and I've been having an absolute blast...though for the record, this all would be A LOT easier if I was as flexible and skinny as I was in college. Right now I'm a 5th degree green (5th kyu/gup), though I'm testing for 4th in about eight hours from now.

Anyway, I've been looking for a respectful, positive martial arts forum, and this place seems to fit the bill. Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Anyway, I've been looking for a respectful, positive martial arts forum, and this place seems to fit the bill. Thanks!

Indeed you have found it. Welcome.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Welcome to the forum!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Welcome to the forum!

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Thanks everyone!

So I got through the 4th gup test last night! I'm not someone who inherently cares about rank--it's a very imperfect way of measuring ability--but for me, I've always had some reason to leave a school around green belt level, to the point where it almost has become a mental block. Each time, there was a legitimate reason (leaving the area, injury, etc), but still, with both TKD and Shotokan, I never got beyond this point. Now I'm beginning to start training toward red belt (testing at least six months out, but at least training for it), and it's nice to have the stability to stick around with one school for long enough to push through to higher ranks.

Mitlov,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your promotion...and congratulations that you are in a stable position to be able to continue with your MA journey. Look forward to hearing more from you in the forums.

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on your promotion.

As far as the hiatus goes, I know that feeling all too well. I trained in my late teens-mid 20s. Left for grad school. career, wife, and kids all kept me away for about 15 years. I restarted going on 4 years ago and am climbing the ranks. Not that the rank is that important, but it’s still something to look forward to, gives you a good goal to work towards, and I just flat out love a tough belt test. Nothing like that feeling of being pushed far enough outside your comfort zone and prevailing.

Welcome to KF. Glad to have you here.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll