• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's in your DIY medical kit?

I think as martial artists, most of us accumulate a gradually growing list of quick fix remedies and basic first aid gear.

My such kit contains :

Ibuprofen gel (topical anti inflammatory)

Tiger balm red - for minor bruising

Deep freeze spray - aerosol analgesic

An assortment of compression bandages

Surgical tape

Not all of this goes into my kit bag. The club has a more comprehensive first aid kit. My stuff is mostly for self treatment at home.

I'm thinking of changing some bits.

What do folks here consider staples in their basic medical kit?

I'm especially interested in what folks do for substantial bruising and sprains. That's one area where I'm still looking for better treatment ideas.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whatever is in the First-Aid kit that I bought at the store; seems to have what I need, and I have the biggest kit I could find for the house and car and gym.

I carry a lot of bandaids and New Skin glue because I take a blood thinner twice a day.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Just about the norm. Bought one a few years back (largest version the company carried) that incorporates everything from a head ache to bandages to sting relief to pressure bandages to slings, etc, etc, etc.

I also have a field kit that blows away the aforementioned kit and includes everything up to surgical equipment. Pretty much anything you would need to perform surgery if needed in the field.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

I'm especially interested in what folks do for substantial bruising and sprains. That's one area where I'm still looking for better treatment ideas.

Ibuprofen, ice and heat. I guess if it's bad enough you could add muscle relaxers but this requires a doctor and is not a home remedy.

Tiger balm is more of a mask rather than a remedy as it tricks the brain into thinking it's cooling and heating but in reality this does nothing for the actual muscle. You can't beat good old ice and heat.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

It is definitely a stroke of luck, but there are no less than three hospitals or medical clinics within a ten minute drive from the dojo. Several of the regulars have extensive first aid training as part of their jobs and the instructor is professionally trained in bone-setting(putting broken or dislocated bones back in place).

The first aid kit is mostly medical tape and splints and a few different bandages. Just enough to take care of injuries until the injured person can be taken to one of the hospitals nearby.

In addition to all the normal strapping tape, plasters and bandages, I also carry:

ice packs

freeze spray

heat spray

tiger balm

muscle rub

arnica

antiseptic cream

non-latex gloves

paracetamol

ibuprofen

aspirin

antihistamines

loperamide (you do not want these kind of issues at a tournament!)

duct tape

My sister manages a pharmacy so she keeps me well stocked up :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius