• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unsu jump height! (Gym)

Hello everyone. I hope you are all having an amazing day!

I have been searching everywhere to get an answer to this one question and never found one. The question is pretty straightforward, which gym workouts should I do to increase height for the jump in Unsu or any other Kata jump. Yes, I know you have to do plyometric exercises and other stuff, but I'm asking for gym workouts, like leg presses and others. Also, no, I'm not talking about box jumps, tuck jumps or any other jumps, I'm talking about specific Unsu or other Kata jumps. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry I missed this topic!!

Unsu is one of my most favorite Kata's, even though nowadays, my age is showing at the wrong time. That big jump does task any practitioner, especially at first...hundred times or so.

I'm a firm believer that to get height in ones jumps/leaps, one needs strong and muscular legs. I've very strong and muscular legs, and here's what I do at the gym...

STRETCH FIRST!!!!!!

You'll have to look these exercises up to learn how to do them, unless you already know.

*Leg Presses

*Step-Ups

*Pistol Squats

*Glute-Ham Raise

*Lunge Squats

*Bulgarian Split Squat

*Hack Squat

*Romanian Deadlift

*Front Squat

*Barbell Squat

3 sets of 10 each; slowly. Making sure your adhere to correct form!! Adjust the weights to your tolerance. Remember, it's not about the weight as it is about the reps.

I work my legs 3 times a week!!

I start with cardio for 30 minutes...Rowing or StairMaster or Treadmill or Battle Ropes or Tire Flipping or Bike Riding, then hit the weights.

Have fun, be safe, and train hard!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

You need to work on Power, Speed, Strength and Agility.

Note: Strength and Power are different for Exercise. Power is the force you generate, Strength is just what you can lift/push/pull.

Certain exercises it is safer to go slowly, or to go down slow and up fast. Whereas others you can do fast through its full ROM.

So you need to have strong legs, core and gluteals as a whole. But to get height (and angular + vertical velocity) for the jump, single leg box jumps (i know what you said in the OP) can be great.

If you are looking for gym work to build leg strength, then you can't beat the squat. I'd recommend squatting three days per week. Deadlift, power cleans, and power snatches are also great weight training exercises to work in, once you've established some strength with the squat. The plyometrics will also be good supplemental training.

• 3 weeks later...

Old subject, but i would like to give my opinion.

Unsu is a beautiful and difficult kata BUT:

Unsu IS a kata with a (big) jump in it.

Unsu IS NOT a (big) jump with a kata attached.

Jump is important if you are a competitor, just for the sake of spectacularity.

If not, specially if you are facing seniority, just do what you can or what you think is correct and, of course, meaningful, and, please, don't break yourself anything.

When in yoi, you can see in performer's eyes that they are thinking in the jump. You can see all along the performance that their mind is in the jump, and after the jump, they relax as if the job has been finished. Don't do it.

Seen lots of beautiful jumps in ugly Unsus... pity.

"Words without thoughts never to heaven go"

Old subject, but i would like to give my opinion.

Unsu is a beautiful and difficult kata BUT:

Unsu IS a kata with a (big) jump in it.

Unsu IS NOT a (big) jump with a kata attached.

Jump is important if you are a competitor, just for the sake of spectacularity.

If not, specially if you are facing seniority, just do what you can or what you think is correct and, of course, meaningful, and, please, don't break yourself anything.

When in yoi, you can see in performer's eyes that they are thinking in the jump. You can see all along the performance that their mind is in the jump, and after the jump, they relax as if the job has been finished. Don't do it.

Seen lots of beautiful jumps in ugly Unsus... pity.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

Truth is the older you get the harder all jumps become.

Although we should always strive to perform them there is a lot of truth in adjusting them accordingly. Understanding the jump IMO is more important ant than doing the jump. This does not mean I don't practice it but when I do kata , I'm very careful about risking my body trying to do a jump that I didn't think twice about 20 years ago.

I don't think the answer to your question is a weight lifting answe. It's a fear solution. Once you know you can get around the jump becomes much simpler. So my suggestion work on a trampoline or jumping in a pool under water. Then progress up to using a spring floor like you see cheerleaders tumble on. After that advance to matts or grass or a softer surface. No shame in wearing shin pads or shoes either.

Good luck but the jump don't make you a good martial artist the training makes you one. You may never get it but that don't mean you should not study it and understand it or ignore it because physically it can't be done.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."