The Pred

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our house rules are pretty simple, really. Aim above the belt. No hand strikes to the head if you're not wearing gloves. Just about anything else goes (with Tae Kwon Do, and Hap Ki Do.)

That being said, we really don't end up with too many injuries. Punches and kicks are all pulled. Any submissions are also pulled. Even though protective gear is almost never worn, no one really gets hurt.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Only foot techniques to the head, if you can get them there, no helmets. gloves, mouth guard and boot thingies. Intensity: Depends on what you agree, light to Maximum power.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

We allow everything and anything, including the kitchen sink, if need be!! However, no matter the weapon, it must be controlled at all times. Sure, accidents happen, that's why we're adamant about safety gear for all Kyu students, without exceptions.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

We allow everything and anything, including the kitchen sink, if need be!! However, no matter the weapon, it must be controlled at all times. Sure, accidents happen, that's why we're adamant about safety gear for all Kyu students, without exceptions.

If I ever make it to your dojo, I'll definitely bring a kitchen sink with me. Hopefully you won't take it from me and beat me senseless with it though.

:) :) :)

We only do light contact to the head, and we require everyone to wear gear on their hands and feet--headgear is required for everyone under the age of 12, and optional above that, although I have pointed out that studies show headgear only protects from aesthetic damage, and may actually increase the risk of concussion. Even so, concussions have been VERY rare in our dojo. In the 7 years I've been training with my current Sensei, there have maybe been three concussions, and none of them were Grade 3 that I know of (loss of consciousness). Accidents happen, of course, and its a martial arts school, so that is a risk that must be assumed. Despite that, it is significantly safer than football, or boxing, which are both quite popular.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

If I ever make it to your dojo, I'll definitely bring a kitchen sink with me. Hopefully you won't take it from me and beat me senseless with it though.

LOL!!

You can bring the kitchen sink with you, if need be. I won't take the kitchen sink from you because...I won't need it.

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It depends on the purpose and focus of training. If it is for maximum realism and dealing with a self-defense situation, everything and anything ought to be practised. The head and upper body are a common target in self defense situations as well as some completions. Even if one trains only for the ring, one ought to learn and be prepared to face those who may not care for "rules". Adapting to the situation is much easier when one has trained and practised for what is most likely to happen.

Yes we allow them for both kicks and punches. Though our tournament rules just changed to no head contact at all for under 13s.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

LOL!!

You can bring the kitchen sink with you, if need be. I won't take the kitchen sink from you because...I won't need it.

:P

Well played, sir.