• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Decent Base Layer Underclothes?

Does anyone use special base layer when they train? I tried some Reebok shirts/boxers that were polyester/poly-spandex blend, respectively. The shirts ended up stinking like bad BO within about 45 minutes. It would be nice to find something that wicks sweat away, and DOESN'T stink. Cotton is nice for regular everyday wear, but it gets too wet for me when I train. I've considered buying a couple merino wool shirts, but I'm not sure if they'd hold up to martial arts.

Recommendations do not have to be cheap, but that would be a plus!

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have a couple under armor loose fit t-shirts and a couple spandex shorts that will fit a cup. They get washed after 1 use and I have not noticed a problem.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

I don't wear anything under my gi top. The extra layer would probably kill me.

I wear Nike Pro Combat spandex as underwear under my gi pants. It's a trick I learned from the Div I basketball players I used to work with. They don't bunch up, ride up, etc., and they don't get all saturated like cotton boxer briefs do. No chafing, no nothing :)

I tried the Under Armour spandex initially, but they weren't comfortable. They were too stiff and thick. The seams on all of them started falling apart after a few months too. In fairness to Under Armour, I called them and told them about the seams. They told me to mail them to them and they'd replace every pair for free (and would ship them to me for free too). I didn't take them up on it because I started wearing the Nike ones and liked them better.

I've seen the Nike Pro Combat shorts I own with a pocket for a cup, but I've never tried them.

The Nike and Under Armour shorts are great for while you're working out, but they get pretty uncomfortable when you're not. They get pretty hot.

I wear Nike Dri-Fit and Under Armour Tech t-shirts when I work out, and even when I don't. Ive never had a smell issue once. I only wear the loose fitting shirts, not the compression. Nike and Under Armour claim some sort of anti-microbial treatment in their stuff. But I have a few shirts I've been wearing for 7-8 years (I'm wearing one right now), and they've never smelled. Any anti-microbial stuff would've been washed away a long time ago.

Both companies make shirts with different materials. I go with the cottony feeling ones (they're not cotton though), not the traditional spandex feeling ones. Under Armour's is the Tech shirt. No idea what Nike's is beyond Dri Fit. The Pro Combat t-shirts seem more like spandex, and are a compression fit. I've never tried them.

Sorry if this is too much information :)

Merino is the ultimate, they should be ok, if you don't do alot of grappling...

Grappling is a significant part of our curriculum.

I have tried some new shirts by Hanes that are a poly/rayon blend. They seem okay. They certainly dry faster than cotton! They're starting to pill after a month, however, so I suspect they won't last long.

I use a rash guard every training session. You can get them from about any grappling outlet. I highly suggest them.

I'm female but the Nike Pro gets my vote. I've also tried Adidas Techfit range but prefer the Nike version.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I'm female but the Nike Pro gets my vote. I've also tried Adidas Techfit range but prefer the Nike version.

I shall check some out. Thanks!