• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does any school?

So I think most here would say that rank should be earned not given. However, does anyone go to a school or been to a school where one has to earn the white belt? I mean after all that is a rank.

Teachers are always learning

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have been to a dojo or two that require the student to earn the white belt. After all, white belt is a rank, and all ranks must be earned. Whenever I see that, I smile with an approving smile because I think that that's so cool. That mindset, imho, takes the earning of all ranks to the Nth degree!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

No one has to earn the white belt with me; they often come free with keikogi after all. However, I do have a similar concept in that the yellow belt is merely an inaugural belt to let me know someone does not need carrying through the class; I can give a direction and they should know what I mean. It is not given through a formal grading, rather I hand it out when someone is accepted as a student of the club, and are no longer being evaluated for suitability.

Most people I give it to after 3-4 months. Most tend to do the first formal grading in 8-9 months after starting. I do favour people showing that commitment before I start handing out belts, so even though I do not make people earn white belt, as it is impractical considering so many keikogi makes come with one by default, I do understand and consider the principle worthwhile.

R. Keith Williams

I think I prefer that the white belt is not earned, other than getting it with the uniform. I like to think that there are thousands of white belts out there walking around, and I'm just waiting for them come in and get to training.

Yeap, Our dojo, you start in a beginners class and if you are ready approx 3 months later you do your first grading, if you pass you receive your white belt and 10th Kyu certificate.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

A few systems/organizations don't consider the white belt a rank. Kyokushin calls white belt mu kyu - "no rank." 10th kyu is orange belt.

My former organization made us earn our white belt. Students had to successfully go through 3 private lessons in which things like proper etiquette/protocol, basic stances, punches, and blocks, how to turn (mawate), etc. were taught. The final part of it was the student had to be able to recite the first sentence of the student creed without any help. Basically, the student had to show they were capable of being on the floor without needing someone right beside them the entire time, and had to recite the line "I will develop myself in a positive manner, and avoid anything that will reduce my mental growth and physical health."

My current dojo just gives the white belt with the uniform. I used to think the way my former dojo did it was better, but seeing several new students join and stay around, I don't think one way is inherently better than the other.

In Judo, white belt is not a rank, therefore you don't have to earn it. A white belt is simply what you wear to keep your Gi closed till you earn a colored belt, and during some tournaments.

Think first, act second, and stop getting the two confused.

Nope no club i have trained/taught at has ever had that rule. Every student has received automatically their White Belt.

So far my club (the one i just started) you receive it automatically. Students who have had their rank removed or they forgot their belt are a Mukyu (no rank) for that class or whatever period of time.

When I started you had to earn your Hachikyu (white belt) grade. However as with all things, this tradition was changed.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll