• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training injuries

Injuries during training always happen for one of two reasons:

A) incorrect biomechanics( alignment, structure, balance). For example punching with an improperly closed fist

B) Excessive exertion far beyond the point of maximum benefit or without enough adequate preparation/conditioning. For example, trying to punch a makiwara one hundred times full power without first learning how to do it properly.

Of course these are simple and somewhat extreme examples, but the important point to remember is that there is always a lesson to learn from training injuries.

From basic thing like keeping the fist closed firmly to breathing correctly. Instructors will often repeat these like broken records, but often it does not really sink in until someone gets unnecessarily hurt because they didn't or couldn't follow the recommendations. Even with the best intentions and attention some things cannot be truly learned or understood until they are experienced.

It is also much better to learn these lessons in a training environment, than in a situation where being injured could mean much more serious consequences than just taking a break.

It pays to listen to those with experience when it comes to training injuries , lest everyone should have to break every limb to understand and suffer to learn. Somehow causing injuries to others and especially to oneself is much easier than learning how to avoid or reduce them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason number 3 why accidents happen while training in the MA...

Things happen!!

Another reason might be...

Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc..."after this, therefore, because of this."

Either way, training injuries can't be avoided when one trains in the MA.

:spitlaugh:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Training injuries could also be emotional.

As one young girl was embarrassing the young boys with her kicks. One of the boys father wasn't going to stand for that, so he stood between the girl and his son and told him " Your not going to let a little girl beat you, are you?"

That was the first and last martial art class that she attended.

The girl was my niece.

I had bruised the front of my foot twice till now due to kicking opponent's knee. I guess that's my hard way to learn that I have to raise my knee more before I deliver a kick. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

So far I've been pretty lucky, the worst has been bruised ribs that seemed to take forever to heal, I couldn't sleep on my left side or turn over without pain. Other than that it's been minor bruising and a couple of burst lips.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

Sounds like we're all a bunch of wrecks. :lol:

I've had the usual sprains, strains and pulled muscles over the years but two injuries stand out as pretty bad and are unfortunately recent ones:

- Dec 2015 I ruptured the ulnar collateral ligament (also known as medial collateral ligament) in my elbow. Waiting on what's known as the "Tommy John" surgery to reconstruct it using a tendon from my wrist. This will put me out of action for 6 months or more.

- Last week... unfortunately received a mild concussion after being kicked in the face. Taking it easy and not training for a couple of weeks. When I do, it will be just basics and solo work for a bit.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Sounds like we're all a bunch of wrecks. :lol:

I've had the usual sprains, strains and pulled muscles over the years but two injuries stand out as pretty bad and are unfortunately recent ones:

- Dec 2015 I ruptured the ulnar collateral ligament (also known as medial collateral ligament) in my elbow. Waiting on what's known as the "Tommy John" surgery to reconstruct it using a tendon from my wrist. This will put me out of action for 6 months or more.

- Last week... unfortunately received a mild concussion after being kicked in the face. Taking it easy and not training for a couple of weeks. When I do, it will be just basics and solo work for a bit.

Sounds like we're all a bunch of wrecks; personally I know I'm past my sell-by-due-date, but I know I will die healthy, because the analysis of my blood and urine samples are within healthy (government published statistical) parameters.

In the past, the cause of death for most people was from infections. Lung disease and what ever was going around at the time.

We can do alot to contribute to having good health; that most people simply ignore, for the sake of instant gratifications.

Martial art training injuries, are usually treatable, better that, than being devoured alive by a hungry sofa, that feeds on couch potatoes.

Sure we might get mad at ourselves for shooting our own foot sometimes, while training but isn't that the best time to learn a lesson or two?

Broken hand (classic boxer's break) when a student partially slipped a punch during hard contact. Healed ok, plenty of irritation if I work it too hard at the forge or in the yard.

Fingers & toes broken, tangled in gi, partial slips/falls where you catch yourself with the foot, hitting shins/elbows.

Broken ribs from a hard body punch taken from a pro fighter during a hard sparring session.

Broken nose (from my brother) during a light sparring session. Zigged, should have zagged and blocked a round kick with my nose.

Facial cuts from punches (again, brother). I have got to keep from dropping my right.

Dislocated rib from body movement. Did something funky sparring with a white belt. Rib popped out, had to work it back into place.

Bloodied noses and mouths, lost count, along with black eyes. They happen.

By far the worst of the lot, for recovery, was the either the rib dislocation which ended up plaguing me for longer than the broken rib. And was worse as far as causing paid during normal movement. The knee popping/tendon stretch still causes trouble now and then as well.

When you have bodies colliding at speed and are practicing percussive arts, injuries are going to happen. The best you can do is us protective gear and try to structure some safety into training.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

MBD maximum bone density, through nutrition and conditioning, can go a long way "preventative medicine" in helping to cut down on injuries.

As martial artists, I believe we can do more to help our bodies endure physical punishment with adequate nutrition and exercise.

As well as understanding and practicing some of the different types of physiotherapys can be helpful to regain mobility and heal injuries faster.

There is a huge amount of information available on specific ailments worth investigating.

Learning about how the human body functions on many levels will undoubtedly make a martial artist more aware of how to maintain and improve performance in any chosen style.

Fighting Shaolin Monks, were also doctors in their day, as they knew how to reset bones treat bruises and helped heal the sick through nutrition.

Injuries are all apart of the training.

Broken nose, fingers, toes, and ribs. Cuts, bruises and lacerations. Torn ACL. Bruised ego was the worst. :D

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll