• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kids Karate !

I understand the struggle. Maybe talking with her Sensei could shed some light on what needs improving or how her kata should look. There are also several good youtube videos. Some of the better (in my opinion) look like old VHS tapes. The quality of instruction is great and they break to kata down really well even if the production values are not what we expect today. I will post links later.

Thanks LLLEARNER , I will try it :up:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter started a few weeks before she turned 5. She learned a good amount, but you have to factor in age. Compared to an adult, she didn't learn much. And you have to look at all she learned - terminology, etiquette, following directions, focus, etc.

If you want the maximum physical benefits of exercise for kids that age, one word - gymnastics. Both of my daughters do gymnastics 1 hour, 1 night a week. With all the apparatus, there's no shortage of stuff to do (it keeps their attention very well), and the gross and fine motor movement skills they learn are excellent.

I'm heartbroken that my now 6 year old daughter isn't in karate with me, but objectively speaking, gymnastics is so much better for her from a physical development standpoint. Heresy, I know. But it's true.

My daughter started a few weeks before she turned 5. She learned a good amount, but you have to factor in age. Compared to an adult, she didn't learn much. And you have to look at all she learned - terminology, etiquette, following directions, focus, etc.

If you want the maximum physical benefits of exercise for kids that age, one word - gymnastics. Both of my daughters do gymnastics 1 hour, 1 night a week. With all the apparatus, there's no shortage of stuff to do (it keeps their attention very well), and the gross and fine motor movement skills they learn are excellent.

I'm heartbroken that my now 6 year old daughter isn't in karate with me, but objectively speaking, gymnastics is so much better for her from a physical development standpoint. Heresy, I know. But it's true.

Yes we are planning to start Gymanistics once she turns 5 as this is the minimum age they accept & I am pretty sure my daughter will love it. She is currently doing swimming (great progress for her age) & karate (little progress) !

Here is Taikyoku Shodan.

Heian Shodan

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Here is Taikyoku Shodan.

Heian Shodan

Great videos. Thanks for sharing LLLEARNER :karate: I was actually going to search for it tonight. You made my life easier :D

No problem. shotokanman also has good ones.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

No problem. shotokanman also has good ones.

:up: :up: :up:

When you should expect to see improvement with kids ?

When it's appropriate, and not any time sooner.

at what age ?!

There's no set time...there's no set age!! Each individual, in their own time, to their own talents!!

because if my daughter's case is a school issue I am more than happy to change the school but if that's normal I will stay in the same dojo for a while & reassess.

As a parent, that's your given right to change schools anytime, and in that, the parent doesn't need to offer reasons to anyone. Out of the mouth of babes, and this is to include babes of the MA...allow time to do what it's the best at...TIME!! Just as in adults, each one learns at their own pace, none sooner or later than the other, but just at the right and exact moment that they're suppose to learn.

Allow time to take time, and when the time is right, that AHA moment(s) will happen, when it's appropriate, and not before.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

When you should expect to see improvement with kids ?

When it's appropriate, and not any time sooner.

at what age ?!

There's no set time...there's no set age!! Each individual, in their own time, to their own talents!!

because if my daughter's case is a school issue I am more than happy to change the school but if that's normal I will stay in the same dojo for a while & reassess.

As a parent, that's your given right to change schools anytime, and in that, the parent doesn't need to offer reasons to anyone. Out of the mouth of babes, and this is to include babes of the MA...allow time to do what it's the best at...TIME!! Just as in adults, each one learns at their own pace, none sooner or later than the other, but just at the right and exact moment that they're suppose to learn.

Allow time to take time, and when the time is right, that AHA moment(s) will happen, when it's appropriate, and not before.

:)

Thanks Sensei8, as usual to the point reply :karate:

• 2 weeks later...

My kids' karate school does not allow ages below 5 because they lack not only the coordination, but the concentration as well. As a mother of a new 6 year old boy (Birthday January 26), I totally understand! It will come with age and better coordination - which my son is still working on! Completely normal for this age :)