• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many Kicks can you do in 1 minute ?

Yeah, I agree with others on this, for me, he's not kicking, he's flicking his foot out fast. Even balance and agility wise, I've seen far better. I'm really not into all this fancy flicky showy stuff, show me a well executed man-stopper of a kick, that's my kind of video.

I often have non MA friends send videos of people doing so called "extreme martial arts" with people on the floor with sparkly suits and flashing lights in the background, doing a clearly choreographed jumpy routine with a Bo at the speed of light! Nope, not for me. Show me a properly timed, strong REAL kata with a Bo, then I'll be impressed, the rest to me, is more akin to majorettes or something.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the time the agility on show is amazing but, agility alone does not make a martial artist. For me anyway.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have seen the odd snippet of those types of "routine" , music and glitter with bo or Nunchuks, are there really competitions out there like that?

What do they call that sort of thing?

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

The forms competitions? They mostly demonstrate athleticism and balance. I don't care how many times I can throw my foot out. I am not trying to rack up the high score. It's not like I can throw a video game juggle combo at some thug and do a victory dance.

If I am making percussive attacks, I am probably going to be the one going to jail. Rapid fire kicks are to train peak impact percussive strikes, and I simply don't have the privilege to be able to use those freely anymore.

I just cheered up a friend of mine who is still recovering from the trauma of an extensive stint in solitary confinement after defending herself from three attackers at once, one armed, using nonlethal techniques. Techniques should always work towards escape and repositioning for better tactical positioning to flee a situation. I really can't trust in the usefulness of drunk uncle techniques in many situations anymore.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 2 weeks later...

As a kicking training exercise it is excellent but for fighting, it is obviously impractical.

Calling what he is doing as kicking looks more like tapping than anything else.

For martial artists this isn't generally considered as valid kicking but as an exhibition for the entertainment value targeted for none martial art spectators and their naivety as it looks very impressive, without much thought beyond that.

I have seen the odd snippet of those types of "routine" , music and glitter with bo or Nunchuks, are there really competitions out there like that?

What do they call that sort of thing?

Yeah it seems to be growing more popular, there's loads of videos on YouTube. It usually goes under the name of "extreme martial arts" .

Mo.

Be water, my friend.