• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2017 Martial Arts Goals

In a few weeks we'll turn the page to a new chapter-- the year 2017.

365 pristine blank pages lay before you. What are you going to do to fill them up?

Benjamin Franklin said "let each new year find you a better man. (or woman)" What steps will you take to ensure you're a better martial artist by the time we reach that last page?

This can include goals for training, teaching, learning, health and fitness, or anything that relates in any way to martial arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main goal is to restart my karate training by January 2017 & keep training as hard as I can for the coming 365 days.

It won't be easy at all to achieve but will try to do my best :karate:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Still in the process of coming up with final goals but do have a couple that I know I want to do...

-get my fitness back up to what it used to be, that will include using the gym after work, going for runs, and possibly going on a diet! something I never thought I would have to do.

-get back into my Iaido.

-work on advertising to try and attract more students.

-expand my MA knowledge a little bit more, seeking out other instructors and places to train.

-Find more tournaments and get back competing.

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

So after reviewing last year's 2016 goals I went back to the drawing board for next year. Here we go:

1) I missed it last year, so I need to get on it this year. At least 1 BJJ comp now that I"m at black belt in that art.

2) Maintain status quo on training session per week in BJJ and PTK.

3 Maintain my additional fitness training. Last year I picked up lifting again in preparation for my annual physical at work. I'd like to average 3-4 days per week over the year lifting. It's been rewarding.

4) Two training session with the head of my organization. I've been so busy working at a local level I've neglected the larger picture. I want to rectify that.

5) Get another successful year in the books at Alpha. I'd like to push for for 15 more members.

That should be a good start.

Same as always really. I just want to get better. I might look towards opening a studio, or taking in students towards the end of next year, but we'll see where I am then. Really, if anything, it would be great to pick up a new style.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Let me see...

1) Lose weight!! Goal will be to go from my current 290lbs down to 216lbs by October 4, 2016.

2) Maintaining a healthy lifestyle across the board: Watching my diet and exercise 6 days a week; ensuring a much better quality of life.

That's it for now.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Now that I have a hip socket that actually functions the way it's supposed to as opposed to dislocating a couple times a week, here's what I want to accomplish for 2017: (in no particular order)

1) Test for Yonkyu (green-brown belt) in May and train like hell to test for Sankyu (3rd brown) in December 2017 or March 2018

2) relearn the basics, relearn how to fall and roll and do things like jumping kicks without all the weird modifications I had to make due to my hip

3) revisit learning Stature of the Crane, #5 Kata, #5 Pinan, and #3 Kata

4) Finish learning the spear form I started to learn and learn Two Man Bo Kata

5) Compete in one tournament in Traditional Kata and Weapons Kata

6) grow into my role as an assistant instructor

7) Take more opportunities to learn from the Masters in Irvine

Shaolin Kempo, 1st Dan (earned 3 July 2018 in China)

ITF Tae Kwon Do, 2nd Dan (earned 6 June 2009 in San Diego, CA)

Almost 20 years of martial arts training in total

Let me see...

1) Lose weight!! Goal will be to get the most out of Testo-Max and go from my current 290lbs down to 216lbs by October 4, 2016.

2) Maintaining a healthy lifestyle across the board: Watching my diet and exercise 6 days a week; ensuring a much better quality of life.

That's it for now.

:)

I want to train harder and eat healthier.

Edited by Mewse