• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Books about the history of Karate

shortyafter

Hey there Senpais and friends. This is my first time posting on the forums. I'm looking forward to posting more.

I started practicing Kyokushinkai just over a year ago, in the US. I just googled "karate" and there happened to be a Kyokushin dojo 10 minutes walking from my house. Good stuff!

I have since moved to Spain and the style we have in my small town is Shotokan. I have also grown to like it very much.

As my interest in karate grows, I'd like to know something of the history of karate - in general. I don't know if it's possible to get it all in one book - from the origins, to Shotokan, to Kyokushinkai (and other variations). If not, then specific books from within those styles. Particularly, however, something that touches on the general origins.

Also - I'd like something that touches on the philosophy / art of Karate. Less about technique, and more about, the metaphysical aspects. If such a book exists.

I will take any and all recommendations. Thanks much. Osu!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to KF, shortyafter; glad that you're here!! :bowofrespect:

I've some suggestions for you...

1) Look into KF's General Martial Arts forum. Once there, click on the thread at the top labeled "Sticky: Martial arts research library"...here's the link as well...

http://www.karateforums.com/martial-arts-research-library-vt8082.html

Once there, you'll find an endless plethora of book listings and the like, to satisfy, as well as, quench the thirst of MA related sources.

2) Karate: The Art of "Empty-Hand" Fighting by Hidetaka Nishiyama and Richard C. Brown have inspired hundreds of thousands of karateka, and it remains one of the finest texts available on the technique, art, and spirit of karatedo. It's a great book for anyone interested in Shotokan.

3) Mas Oyama has authored several books on Kyokushin, and they're each considered by hundreds of thousands of Kyokushin, and these jewels of books are still in quite highly demand concerning the technique, art, and spirit, as well.

A) The Kyokushin Way

B) What is Karate?

C) This is Karate.

D) Advanced Karate.

E) Vital Karate.

F) Essential Karate.

Hopefully, this will help. I look forward to your posts, and again, welcome to KF, shortyafter!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Welcome Shorty, for a shotokan practitioner, or anyone really, a good book to read would be "Karate do my way of life" by Funakoshi. Very cheap price in paperback. Well worth a read.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Welcome to KF.

It's nearly impossible to get a full history of karate out of a single book. With so many styles and "founders," just about every style could write a book on the history of their school and lineage.

The book(s) that is considered by many to be THE authority on karate's history is Bubishi by Patrick McCarthy. There are several versions/editions. Somewhere in a box I have Bubishi: The Bible of Karate. There is a great section dedicated to the the history of several Okinawan styles, traced back to China. There are other historical things in there too.

There's been an update or two to it since I bought it about 20 years ago. Haven't seen the new one, so I can't vouche for it.

Mas Oyama's books are great. Just be prepared to pay quite a sum for What is Karate?, This is Karate, and Advanced Karate. They're the holy trinity of kyokushin books.

Welcome to the forum!

As has been mentioned, you'll be hard-pressed to find a single book that encompasses all of karate history. That said, Karate 1.0 by Andreas Quast is the most comprehensive textbook of karate history I have been able to find. That book will give you a great deal of background information on Okinawan karate, but not as much on the specifics of Shotokan and Kyokushin, since those are Japanese developments. Still, it's an excellent resource.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

That's really a good post. I guess I will need to assign a budget to buy some of those book soon :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.