• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Makiwara Training

Wastelander

As someone who practices Okinawan karate, I work with a makiwara fairly regularly. That said, I know that not all styles, or even all schools, make use of makiwara training. I also know that many who do use makiwara don't use them the way they are intended. I'm curious how many folks here at KF train with the makiwara, and how/why?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've trained in Makawara for a long, long, long time, 53 years; it's a staple tool for Shindokan!!

The why...above all things, the Makawara teaches when a technique is incorrect; it'll let you know immediately. Without the Makawara, I might as well not even do Hojo Undo training at all...ever!!

To the how...well...that might take awhile to post here because the 'how' involves quite a lot of 'hows'. Don't be in the MA for over 5 decades without having a lot of 'how's'. Let's me just say this...I do more than enough of 'how's' in order to get the job done.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have used several different types of Makiwara over my journey and train on them weekly.

As to the why... conditioning of the weapons and setting not only muscle memory but proper body alignment. And as Sensei8 stated it teaches you the correct way to strike.

As to the how... that strictly depends on the weapon being utilized and the type of Makiwara used.

We start our students out slowly and gradually build up over two or three years to full power/full speed.

The idea is to break down the bone (I believe this is wolfs law, not sure of the spelling), more or less micro fractures, so that it will fill back in when the body repairs it. Over time this causes the bone to get very dense and very hard. This enables the practitioner to strike with full force without the fear of damaging the hand, foot, shin, elbow, knee, etc.

We do not employ the method by which the skin, tissues and muscles are damaged and badly bruised. Most practitioners start off striking the Makiwara at full force and damage the underlying tissues, joints, and muscles that can lead to issues years later.

I know of an instructor that can not fully open his hand due to the damage caused to his knuckles/joints. Major Arthritis.

We practice a slow build up and allow the body to repair itself. I have personally been using it for over 35 years and can strike with full power and at full speed without damage.

As to types that we use are as follows;

Post (flat or board type) - This is a board sunk into the ground 1/3 the height of the post. There are two types that we use; 1. reduces in thickness as it goes up from the base and is generally 3/4" - 1" at the top and 2" at the base. 2. is a straight board that maintains it's thickness throughout the post.

Post (round) - This is a round post sunk into the ground 1/3 the height of the post. This is helpful in training strikes that are not employed directly to the front. Any portion of the post can and is targeted.

Hanging - this is typically a heavy bag hung horizontally and is used for ascending or descending strikes.

Bamboo bundle - this is utilized to strengthen the fingers for Nukite (Spear hand type strikes) and for clawing/grabbing type strikes.

I would warn against stationary Makiwara that do not give, as this is dangerous for Deshi to train on. Something has to give. If it's not the Makiwara it's the weapon you are conditioning.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

In all my years of training, I've never had a chance to train on a makiwara. I would love to experience it.

They are easy to make.

There are two easy ways to make your own.

1. buy two 2x4x8' boards. cut one into 2) 2' pieces. Measure to your breast bone. as an example; if the measurement is 4' cut 2' off the total length of the 8' board. Bury two feet in the ground vertically and take the two 2' pieces and bury one at the bottom of the hole horizontally and the other one about 6" from the surface horizontally so that they are on the back side of the post and touching the post. This will support the post when you strike it.

4' should be above ground. Bury and back fill with gravel up to 4" from the surface and cover with dirt. Tamp and repeat with more dirt if necessary.

2. Buy 1) 2x4x8, a 3x4 square steel tube and some concrete. dig a hole, again using the above example, and place the 3x4" tube in the middle. back fill with concrete and let set. As in the example above cut off 2' off the board. Using a table saw cut the 2' board into a wedge long ways. place your 6' board into the tube and wedge the 2' cut piece behind it. You should have 4' or whatever measurement it is to your breast bone above the ground.

As far as the striking surface, I would suggest high density foam or carpet underlayment will work if you do not have high density foam. Wrap this with sisal or sports tape or cover it with leather. I would suggest 1" thick if you have not conditioner before.

Once you get used to this you can remove foam or just place a few pieces of leather on the board and wrap with sisal or cotton rope, based on your preference.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Annoying I can't and don't have access to a Makiwara at my dojo due to our physical location (we rent) so we can't put one in. Also where I live doesn't permit them because i'm on the 1st floor (2nd Floor to some people) of an Apartment Building.

Personally I would love to use them because it trains you to target and apply force correctly through your knuckles.

I didn't have room for a proper one so I got a wall mounted version like this (http://www.karategirl.co.uk/images/karate-training-equipment/makiwara-strike-board.jpg)

I doubt it's as good as a proper one, but I attached the top of it to the wall with a bracket and put some foam padding behind it so it has a couple of cm's give.

I've never done much with it other than hit it with reverse punches, I use it a couple of times a week and concentrate on breathing. It's quite soothing in a way :)

I have a portable one that goes with me everywhere. I travel alot. Really only for conditioning. There is a full, posted mounted one at the main dojo which I use to practice technique when i

visit.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Thank you, everyone, for the replies! I wanted to comment on everyone, but the forum doesn't have a multi-quote feature at the moment, so forgive the lack of quotes:

sensei8 - Haha, yes, I expected this type of answer--I already knew you trained with the makiwara :). Do have any drills/methods you especially like?

bushido_man96 - We'll have to get you to visit!

MatsuShinshii - The conditioning that you describe (Wolff's Law, along with a companion law related to soft tissues, which I can't remember the name of right now) is something I see as a secondary, even coincidental benefit of makiwara training. For me, the feedback the makiwara gives me helps me develop my structure, muscle engagement, and power generation more than anything else. Of course, the resistance also builds strength in all of the tissues involved in the strikes being used. I primarily use a flat tachi-makiwara, myself. I broke our last three ude-makiwara at the dojo, so we need to work something else out for the mount for those. I find sagi-makiwara interesting, but essentially do the same exercises with hanging bags. The large taketaba I like for striking and grabbing, just not with my nukite--I prefer maize bags for that.

Nidan Melbourne - You could build a platform makiwara, like the one I built for my use at home. The thumping would probably not work out well in an apartment, but it would give you one you could use at the dojo! Can't very well have a Goju-Ryu practitioner without a makiwara, now can we!? :P

JackD - The slotted, wall-mount "makiwara" are definitely not very good for much. They can work for some hand conditioning, but they don't give you the feedback a proper makiwara does, which is really the main benefit of a makiwara. On top of that, since it's mounted flat to the wall, there are some drills that you can't really do, since there is no space behind the makiwara. I highly recommend building yourself one!

Shorin_son_goju_father - Since you've trained in two different Okinawan styles, I'm curious as to whether you were taught different methods in each, or if you just carried over one into the other? Do you make use of the feedback component of the makiwara, or just conditioning and accuracy?

Bulltahr - What you describe sounds like a te-makiwara, which is definitely intended just as a portable hand conditioning tool. I have actually found that my wallet works well for small-surface strikes, whereas I can use a harder tool for large-surface strikes.

_____

Now, sensei8 mentioned that he has a wide variety of ways to train with the makiwara, while JackD said he really just uses reverse punches. Personally, I have a lot of different drills I work with the makiwara, aside from just standing still in front of it and pounding away with whatever strike I want to work on (which I also do). I find that it's much more interesting to work with the makiwara in different ways, and I also benefit from it in different ways.

For starters, there are different ways to hit it just from a static stance with reverse punches. I've put some examples together in this video for that:

Then, of course, there are tons of ways to incorporate footwork, receiving movements, and combinations of strikes. Jan Dam Sensei, from Denmark, shows some in the first video, below, while you can see some of mine in the second:

https://www.facebook.com/GentenKai.Denmark/videos/1837060476550648/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMWoW6ZDuVe/?taken-by=karateobsession

Does anyone have any favorite methods or drills?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society