• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Renewing myself...or at least trying to!!

sensei8

Here's what the Holter Monitor looks like...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=849557358556038&set=a.849557381889369.1073741830.100005053440349&type=3

One of my students, when she saw it, called my Robo Cop, I just chuckled and smiled.

4PM came and went last Saturday, and I returned the monitor as asked.

Dr. Child's nurse called me today, to give me the results of the Monitor and this is what I was told:

*Average heart rate is 86; average heart rate in fine

*Baseline Afib; no symptoms occurred

Exacting details of the Monitor, as well as the proposed plan, will be defined at the next visit, on November 13, 2017.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are doing great sensei! I would like to share my personal experience with you. I used to be overweight for a long time which makes me feel uncomfortable around people then i took a decision to lose weight in any condition. I took help of weight loss trainer in ahmedabad through online gym training and i am really thankful to the coach who helped me lose weight and now i feel much comfortable around people. Good luck with everything.

Here's what the Holter Monitor looks like...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=849557358556038&set=a.849557381889369.1073741830.100005053440349&type=3

One of my students, when she saw it, called my Robo Cop, I just chuckled and smiled.

4PM came and went last Saturday, and I returned the monitor as asked.

Dr. Child's nurse called me today, to give me the results of the Monitor and this is what I was told:

*Average heart rate is 86; average heart rate in fine

*Baseline Afib; no symptoms occurred

Exacting details of the Monitor, as well as the proposed plan, will be defined at the next visit, on November 13, 2017.

Thats awesome that no signs or symptoms arose during course of you wearing it.

Maybe you should change your username to "Sensei8 Robocop"? Haha.

• 4 months later...

Well, it's been some time since I updated this thread, so, here's nothing!!

I'm plagued in the 250lb weight range, and seems like I've peaked...I SURELY HOPE NOT!!

I did the CrossFit...no weight change!! I've been very strict with my diet...no weight change!! I've changed up gym routines...no weight change!! I've ran/jogged...no weight change!! I've rode a stationary bike, and if it was a real bike, I'd have biked all the way to Paris and back...no weight change!!

When I say no weight change, I'm referring to significant weight change...lowest I've gotten is 250lbs...I'm 251lbs as of this post!!

WHAT GIVES!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Now it's time to try bike riding on a real bike, but not to Paris, because the ocean between the two might be difficult to traverse. The thing about real bike riding is the challenges of topography and all that one encounters on a sojourn. I got to GET BELOW 250lbs!!!! My weight loss goal is still 220lbs-230lbs!! But, man oh man!! Still at the gym 6 days a week...2-3 hours each day. Thus far, I've lost 75lbs...went from wearing size 56 pants to 40-42...4X to 2X.

I was to have meet my weight loss goal by October 4, 2017, and now I'm 4 months overdue....I failed!! I've lost that battle, but I'm going to win the war!!

I moved back to Houston to help care for my sister, but just days after we moved back, she passed away on January 24, 2018 at 1543, on her 64th birthday. I miss her so much!!

My Cardiologist has been receiving my blood pressure diary monthly, and he's very pleased, and no changes have been ordered. My next appointment with him is in May 2018. Still, no other procedures, and I'll have to live with Afib for the rest of my life, which is hopefully another 20 years!!

Bob, its probably likely that you've used up the greatest gains (in your case, losses) that you are going to see. Much like strength training, you can make serious gains early, and the stronger you get, the harder it is to make more significant gains. I think its the same with weight loss. You've lost a bunch, and now, the losses are going to become more incremental, and probably not show up as great unless you make some serious adjustments to your diet, which you may not want to do.

The other point to consider is that you are a big guy. And I don't mean a fat guy. You are fairly tall, with broad shoulders, and large frame. Which is good, and means that you will be more likely to carry a little more weight than others. But, I think this is good weight, so long as you keep with your diet and exercise.

All that said, I think you've done a great job and are on a great track, so don't get down on yourself now that you've plateaued a bit. Keep working at it, and realize that the victories will just be smaller from here on out.

I once knew a guy who was struggling with maintaining weight loss. He'd plateau and even gain weight with his routine, which was largely cardio, and minimal gym time. What ended up helping him was resistance training on muscles below the waist. Glutes and Quads are much larger than biceps and pecs, which means they burn more calories.

Even with that, he only got so far - everyone's body type is different!

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Bob, its probably likely that you've used up the greatest gains (in your case, losses) that you are going to see. Much like strength training, you can make serious gains early, and the stronger you get, the harder it is to make more significant gains. I think its the same with weight loss. You've lost a bunch, and now, the losses are going to become more incremental, and probably not show up as great unless you make some serious adjustments to your diet, which you may not want to do.

The other point to consider is that you are a big guy. And I don't mean a fat guy. You are fairly tall, with broad shoulders, and large frame. Which is good, and means that you will be more likely to carry a little more weight than others. But, I think this is good weight, so long as you keep with your diet and exercise.

All that said, I think you've done a great job and are on a great track, so don't get down on yourself now that you've plateaued a bit. Keep working at it, and realize that the victories will just be smaller from here on out.

Solid post, Brian, very solid post!! Thanks for your supportive words; they mean everything to me.

I suppose what gets me the most is that both my PCP and my Cardiologist want me in the 220-230lbs range, respectfully. So, I tend to want to get to those ranges. Hard for me to argue with what both doctors want for my weight. They both argue the fact that in those ranges, my heart won't work that hard, Afib or not, and I can be considered to be taken off my blood pressure medication, however, it's the combination of Eliquis and Metropolol that lowers my stroke risk.

I once knew a guy who was struggling with maintaining weight loss. He'd plateau and even gain weight with his routine, which was largely cardio, and minimal gym time. What ended up helping him was resistance training on muscles below the waist. Glutes and Quads are much larger than biceps and pecs, which means they burn more calories.

Solid post!!

My gym routine, which changes to keep my body surprised, is heavy in resistance training to the Nth degree, including those areas you've mentioned. I'll see what the bike riding does. I've done 5 5K runs in the latter half of 2017, but, not significant weight loss...feel great...but I feel like the toy that keeps banging in the wall over and over, but won't give up.

Solid post!!

My gym routine, which changes to keep my body surprised, is heavy in resistance training to the Nth degree, including those areas you've mentioned. I'll see what the bike riding does. I've done 5 5K runs in the latter half of 2017, but, not significant weight loss...feel great...but I feel like the toy that keeps banging in the wall over and over, but won't give up.

I too struggle to maintain a healthy weight. Diet works to some extent, but the standard advice is not always good advice when it comes to diet. We're all different. It seems I'm different in that high fibre diet actually makes me seriously ill. Bizarrely I'm most healthy when I maintain a borderline unhealthy diet. But that's just me. My point is we can take advice, but ultimately we have to find our own way.

In terms of exercise, I was leanest and fittest when I was cycling a lot. I used to ride the more leisurely off road routes so a bit more physically demanding than the road, but not too much so, and a lot more enjoyable. I never did extreme stuff. It was always leisurely, but over many hours. It became difficult to keep it up when I became a daddy because I suddenly had family commitments.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread. My point is really to share what works and what doesn't work for me, in the hope that some small part of it might give you some ideas or help in some small way.

Good luck.

You've made amazing progress so far Bob so I wouldn't be too disheartened. :) With weight loss and strength programs I think it's common for people to plateau. Sometimes you have to mix things up and power through. Eventually you'll see the pounds start to come off again.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius