• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Proud day for me

Bruisbe

At the start of Aug, my son and I started training in Shuri-ryu at the Acadamy of Okinawan karate. This was about a month before he turned 5 (He turned 5 on Sept 1st). I had taken Karate when I was younger and loved it and I was hoping he would take interest in it as a way for me to get back into it and have something besides baseball for him and I to bond over.

(Of course there is the respect, self-discipline, etc. that he is getting a great deal of as well.)

Unfortunately, I have not been able to watch his kids sessions as they are on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I am currently working on my MBA and taking night classes to get that completed.

At any rate. The attached picture is from last Tuesday during his "kids class". I was sitting in my MBA course and my wife texted me this picture. He was selected for the first time to be the up front leader as they ran through the drills while Sensi went around to the other students to make sure they have the correct form.

He has gotten really good with his form and understanding of the basic principles of Karate. He has even got several of the Japanese words down and refers to them as such instead of the English alternative. (ex. Tate-Zuki, Seikien -Zuki, Moroto Empi Ata etc. Sorry for some of the mispellings if there are any in there...lol)

There was one day a couple weeks ago I heard him playing in his room all of a sudden I hear "Shomen ni rei" and "Sensi ni rei" and he was "showing his action figures" what he had learned. It is just so cool that just barely 5 years old, that he is learning such an ancient form of respect.

This gives me soooo much hope for the next generation...lol

http://i.imgur.com/TWiCtVM.png

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's awesome! It's great when kids are involved and excited in their training!

I started my training under Joey Johnston, back in Morton, actually :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

By all means; this was a very proud day for you and your family!! A child's enthusiasm can't be denied, and in that, children, your son, are the future of the MA. So, we better guide them properly along their own MA journey!!

Thank you for sharing the photo...spoke in volumes!! Thank you for sharing your son as well as the experience on your proud day!!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Great feeling to see the little ones getting into it isn't it!

Especially when it is something other than baseball. I swear the kid is going to be in the MLB one day. He is just too good for his age not to be. I just hope the martial arts helps him stay calm and harness that desire to be a better person inside and out

Thats awesome! It always hits a spot that nothing else can

There is something about looking at a picture of someone you love doing something that surprises you. He is a talented kid, however as a parent sometimes you just are amazed when they can grasp something and do well it in. And you shouldn't be because they are not dumb. But I think some of it is just denial of them growing up. Either way it is a calming feeling all around.

That's awesome! It's great when kids are involved and excited in their training!

I started my training under Joey Johnston, back in Morton, actually :)

Sensi Johnston is a great instructor. When we were visiting local schools deciding which one to go to we watched one of the kids classes before our introductory class started and were just floored how patient each of them are with the young and old alike. But no so patient that he is not willing to call someone out when they aren't paying attention. A good balance of both styles makes a great leader, and in the time that we have put in there, it really makes me glad that we chose this school!!!

By all means; this was a very proud day for you and your family!! A child's enthusiasm can't be denied, and in that, children, your son, are the future of the MA. So, we better guide them properly along their own MA journey!!

Thank you for sharing the photo...spoke in volumes!! Thank you for sharing your son as well as the experience on your proud day!!

:bowofrespect:

Thank you for those kind words!! He has actually taught our 13 month old how to "kick". So now its "Brekkin show us your kick" and he responds by sticking his leg out and saying "AYEEEEE" (his Kiai)...Xander is a proud big brother and we are both proud parents!!!

I will be sure to share more as we both progress.

• 1 month later...

Love seeing kids so young enjoying Karate! The future of Karate!

Live and breath every breath as if it was your last. Persevere, endure, overcome and conquer all that stands before you. Remain respectuful and live the lifestyle of a true Budo-ka. Karate-ka.

Remember there is always someone out there that knows more, has done more, is more. Be open, learn, respect and develop as a human and a karate-ka.

Osu!