• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Passed my Nidan Test

So, I tested for my Nidan (2nd Degree Black Belt) on Wednesday, July 20th, along with another Nidan candidate, two Shodan candidates, and several brown belt candidates. The testing panel consisted of:

John Dominguez, Shodan

Jim Mitchell, Shodan

Richard Poage, Godan

Michael Newland, Rokudan

Jeff Allred, Rokudan

Eddie Bethea, Hachidan

We started off with a calisthenic and aerobic circuit that completely wore out my arms and made my calves cramp, before getting into demonstrating curriculum material. The material covered included all 19 kata in the Shorinkan curriculum, 14 yakusoku kumite drills, somewhere between 30-40 self defense techniques, bunkai, and sparring. I'm still sore all over and exhausted, 4 days later, but I made it through and was awarded my Nidan. Everyone else who tested also passed, which was great for them!

Here is the whole group after the test, minus Newland Sensei, who had to leave a bit early:

advanced_test_group.jpg

And here is me with my Sensei, Richard Poage, and his Sensei, Eddie Bethea:

poage_legel_bethea.jpg

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats. All that hard work is impressive.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano