• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flexibility

I have been taking a Shotokan class for a few months now and am still having trouble with hip and leg flexibility. Most of the problem stems from not being able to stretch as much as I want. The outside of my right hip is the worst. It actually causes sharp pain when I stretch to far or try to kick much above belt level. My left hip does not have that problem. I can feel it most days even when not stretching or kicking. It does not feel like normal stretching pains. I am 38 so a bit older than most white belts. Does anyone have any idea of what to do or what it could be?

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flexibility takes a long time to train and as such you have to be careful. But you would have to progressively and daily train your muscles to accept more and more movement through the joints itself. As such you may not be able to "stretch them as much as I want".

Since you are 38, you should be more careful with it because you can easily damage muscles and your joints if pushed too far. As is any stretching or flexibility training at any age!

Have you previously done martial arts prior to signing up to your current martial art? I ask because you may be experiencing muscular pain because in Martial Arts you activate more muscles that you wouldn't normally be activating nearly as much.

I have had some training and other athletic endeavors to wonder why I get the pain on one side and not the other, but I have not taken any martial arts before. I know stretching takes time but I want to kick higher.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

I have had some training and other athletic endeavors to wonder why I get the pain on one side and not the other, but I have not taken any martial arts before. I know stretching takes time but I want to kick higher.

Without having tested you physically (I work in the Health Field similar to a Physiotherapist), it would be difficult to make appropriate recommendations.

So all I can really say is to slowly test your flexibility and slowly push past your limits, but this obviously won't happen overnight.

When you currently kick how much do you pivot your supporting foot? As this will allow you to open up your hips more and positioning the femoral joint in a position to allow you to kick higher.

Also leaning to a certain degree will permit a slightly higher kick, a TKD practitioner will be able to give their reasoning for this.

On my best kicks (I am still new) I am getting my foot fully sideways. Not sure if I am describing it correctly. I am also leaning back in the kick..

• 2 weeks later...

Well i started at 21 yo my karate lessons and i could stay all day, running, doing push ups if required...

Then came university, job, family...Karate was put on stand by

Re-started Karate again last year at 42 yo and almost fainted during the first lessons and of course everything was aching the next days...

So my advice, go easy on you, take your own time, find your own pace...And you will get there, do not make the mistake of overtraining to make up for the lost time because it will just not work

And enjoy

I'll be 59 years old this October, and I find myself stretching just a bit more than I use to because my rubber-band gets quite tighter faster than it use to; I'm no longer that whippersnapper I use to be.

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I had similar problems after starting karate again after a 26 year absence, to be honest, I'm still not as flexible as I'd like to be. But, I asked some of the more senior grades in the club and they all hit me with the same answer...... Don't push too high, too quickly! You'll only do yourself an injury or pick up bad technique. Practice one kind of kick each night for half an hour or so (splitting the time between both legs) start off low to get the mechanics right and over time you'll find the height increases naturally by itself. Head kicks are now comfortable for me to do without pain or my hips locking, which was a big problem for me. Take your time, practice and stretch regularly and you'll soon see a difference.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

A sharp pain when doing an exercise is an indication of an injury. You should stop doing that exercise until you heal. A torn muscle or tendon would take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months to heal.

I have strained, torn, broken and bruised many ligaments and bones. Nothing will slow down your progress faster than injuring yourself. Consider your hip injured and take it easy until the pain goes away. I've never known a MA practitioner that didn't get injured from time to time. If the pain persists you may need to go to an orthopedist and get an x-ray.

Sparring is honesty the rest is art.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."

• 1 month later...

When we were all younger we could move like the wind effortlessly.

Most took this marvel of nature for granted.

We grew up and lost the youthfulness we once had.

Now we want to recapture that lost youth. Not so easy.

Nature gives us a second chance to relive our youth by having children.

Nature then gives us a third chance with grand children.

The problem is as humans we can use up all our chances that nature gives us to recapture our youth.

So we turn to artificial youth products and remedies to fool nature.

Nature is not stupid, far from it. Nature gave you everything you needed and you spent it. Almost all of your youthfulness has been spent and now you appreciate what you once had and it is almost gone.

The quest for the elixir of youth begins. Health and beauty commercialization promises you everything without effort. Buying in to it is the easy way; the lazy way. The expensive way. Only to find out you have lost your way.

When you were a child, no way was the way.

You climbed, run, went swimming and played games. You fell then you got up gain. Bumps and bruises came and went without too much fuss.

To recapture your youth, reawaken the child in you and play. Play with your martial art. Be the Karate kid and not the broken old toy.

Nature will guide you, your nature will guide you. The child in you will guide you.

If you have pain in a muscle or joint do what you did as a child. Rub it quickly!

Stop having conflicts with your body and start playing and enjoying what you have. The more you play the more likely you will get better at it and more likely you will enjoy it more.

If you feel stiff and sluggish from lack of movement. It is time to change your game plan.

It is time for you to be the 'Karate kid' that you were ment to be. Age requirement 'NONE'

Flexibility issues starts with attitudes and your muscles might learn how to have fun again once these issues have regained some youth.