Kyonovice

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well..., It official. IOC approves 5 new sports for Tokyo 2020. Karate is in! WKF karate that is.

Hopefully it'll be worth the gamble in the long run. Sport MA is here to say, and I suppose that I need to accept the inevitable change whether I like it or not; change or perish!!

:) :)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hopefully it'll be worth the gamble in the long run. Sport MA is here to say, and I suppose that I need to accept the inevitable change whether I like it or not; change or perish!!

I'd guess that many schools and students will convert to WKF tournament training, but I'm sure there will still be room for more traditional programs. Maybe not as many as now or not as big. The growth of MMA made things tougher for traditional karate, but it didn't kill it.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Am I the only person here who thinks that keeping kata in is a good idea? It seems like a good way to showcase the various ryu, not just one. What are everyone else's objections to it?

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Am I the only person here who thinks that keeping kata in is a good idea? It seems like a good way to showcase the various ryu, not just one. What are everyone else's objections to it?

Kata will be included in Tokyo along with Kumite.

The divisons will be

Male kata

Female kata

Male kumite - 3 weight categories.

Female kumite - 3 weight categories.

10 competitors per division.

No, you're not the only one. I, too, wish that Kata would have its proper place in the IOC, but I suppose that Kumite is what the IOC wants to concentrate on because it's that fighting aspect that the gladiators partook of.

After all, the WKF, imho, provides a great forum for its competitors in the area of Kata. One area that I've always been impressed with with the WKF in the manner of which they've governed it on a consistent basis.

TKD competitors, in the IOC, just spar, and do no Kata. Imho, the layperson doesn't understand Kata, and in that, they find Kata boring. Boring, compared to fighting, doesn't sell tickets!!

To you, Shizentai, and myself, as well as those MAist that love Kata, we'll just have to get our Kata fix from somewhere else...and I'm cool with that. To me, Kata isn't boring!!

BTW, I'd love to see Sumo in the IOC, but that's me.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hi guys its been some time since my last visit.

I've been following the news and wanted to ask if anyone knows about Kumite rules in the next Olympics.

Will there be an effort to differentiate them from TKD?

I really want Karate to get more exposure but in a way it will not degrade it further than existing Sports Karate has made it look today.

If it was up to me I'd make it into full contact point sparring with minimal protection like mouth piece, mma gloves and groin cup.

Competition Kata should have been left out imho.

While Kata is integral in Karate Do it has no place in competition and I have a strong opinion on this formed after reading 'Kata: The Folk Dances of Shotokan' by Rob Redmond.

Hi guys its been some time since my last visit.

I've been following the news and wanted to ask if anyone knows about Kumite rules in the next Olympics.

Will there be an effort to differentiate them from TKD?

I really want Karate to get more exposure but in a way it will not degrade it further than existing Sports Karate has made it look today.

If it was up to me I'd make it into full contact point sparring with minimal protection like mouth piece, mma gloves and groin cup.

Competition Kata should have been left out imho.

While Kata is integral in Karate Do it has no place in competition and I have a strong opinion on this formed after reading 'Kata: The Folk Dances of Shotokan' by Rob Redmond.

The WKF is the IOC's recognized body for karate, so their rules. I guess WKF usually has 5 weight divisions, but are only allowed 3 by the IOC.

I'd rather see knockdown rules.